Doe milking attitude lots better

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Cotton Eyed Does, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Remember the doe I was telling you that I had to chase down to get her in the diary barn and I was thinking of drying her up because she was such a PITB. Once she got on the stand she was perfect, but just getting her there was the problem. Well now she will knock you down trying to get to the milk stand. She is the first to be milked every time and goes straight to the stand and waits for her grain. It doesn't matter to her if she is machine milked or hand milked. She has the best manners now. :biggrin Makes my life so much more simple.

2. VickiLynne

VickiLynne New Member

Christine,
    Did you do anything special/different to change her attitude? I have a first freshener that I have to chase down and then tie down to milk. I too, was thinking of drying her up and culling her. She even tried to stomp babies. I don't have time for to chase her down and fight with her each milking because I work outside the home. I have been working with her for two weeks. She seems like she is getting better then she freaks. She even has an evil look to her eye. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Vicki in NC

3. Truly

Truly New Member

I have a doe, Pearl, that does NOT want to be handled for any reason.

I got my doe from her this year, so Pearl is going to be sausage.

I'm so glad for you Chris, it's nice to have a doe settle down for you.

4. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

No, I didn't do anything special. I tried to make it a nice happy place to go to. I petted her a lot and talked sweet to her. I didn't lose my patience with her and I think she just figured out that hey that is where my grain is and I really want my grain so she decided to run in the door to eat. Now if I am outside and I act like I am going to try to catch her she will run, BUT if I sit down in a chair she will crawl all over me. After she gets milked and I let her out of the head gate she will rub her head all over me loving on me. She just has that little spooky thing about being caught, but if she thinks it is her idea everything is cool.