Doe losing hair - please help me help my doe

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Shykid Acres, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

One of my goats is losing a lot of hair, especially on one side in a large patch. A little bit of flakey skin there and lots on back legs and udder. I treated her for lice several times as she did have it, but it just seems to be getting worse. :down She is pregnant too, for the first time. Her dam seemed to have a "skin condition" when I saw her with her kids? What is going on? I have pics for anyone that can help.
    I would take her back to the vet but he is NOT a goat person. Would not even touch my goat except to draw blood for a CAE test. He tested her when I asked the first time and said it was lice. I did see the lice in the microscope but....could it be something else as well??? It does not seem to aggravate her...but still! I want to clear this up.
    If you wish for pics, I can provide you with some.
    Please help me help my doe. :help

-Kim

*edited to change post title - BlissBerry

2. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Re: Please help me help my doe.

What did you treat her with and how long agao ? Did you clean out all the old bedding and treat her area also ? If not you still have lice there.

I would retreat her and her bedding . Get her outside as much as possible also.

What type of minerals is she getting and how about grain ?

Patty

3. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I have treated her twice with Y-TEX PYthon Dust-Livestock Insecticide. Last time was last week. She is getting free choice "Goat Mineral" (Good stuff IMO). She was wormed about two weeks ago with "Positive Pellet, Goat Dewormer-Medicated". She'll be getting another dose of that later on this week. I did not dust her area because I was afraid she would eat it up when she dropped her hay on the ground and ate it. The container of the lice stuff makes it sound very potent.

-Kim

4. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

a subq injection of Ivermectin will rid her of lice and clean her bedding area good.

Autumn

5. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Thank you Autumn. Can I use Ivermectin after using the dust? What if I dust her area and she then eats some of it with her dropped hay? How do I treat her area CAREFULLY? Or will a change of bedding do the trick? :(

6. Pairaka

Pairaka New Member

I have a doe that I could swear has lice, but I dust her and none of the others has this ugly, flaky skin, and the lice treatment does nothing for the ragged coat and flaky skin. Lenore (the one I always think has lice) also tends to lose her undercoat sooner than the rest of them. She's going through this stage now. When I look at the others, however, no one else seems to be disturbed by it. She's always the one that is scratching herself on things, too.

When this happens, I know it's time to add in BOSS to their diet. Seems to take care of it. I do treat her for lice, as well as the rest of them, but it just doesn't seem to help this one doe. Seems to be a deficiency in her diet.

Just my two cents.

-- Wendy

7. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Thank you Wendy. I'm going to sound like a moron now... :) What is BOSS?

-Kim

8. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

9. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

I have one doe who gets dry patches like that & when she does, it'll always clear up with zinc lozenges. I give her 1 or 2 a day for few days & it clears right up....she likes the cherry flavored ones from the health food store :). She's also a doe who always seems to need extra copper as well- I bolus most of mine twice a year,while she needs 3-4 times a year.

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

you have to dust the goat if it is n deed lice or mites or yes ivormectine injection.
    BOSS black oil sunflower seeds or a table sp sunflower oil sprinkled over her grain.

11. Pairaka

Pairaka New Member

What Sondra said. :) Sunflower seeds. The goats love them. :)

Looking at the pictures you posted, that looks very familiar, except Lenore tends to get dull and ragged along her topline and since she's black, you can see the cashmere coming out like crazy. Always in the spring. She's got especially flaky skin on her head and she's the one that loves to give "buttrubs," as we call them, because as soon as you go in the pen she's behind you rubbing her head on your butt. :)

I'm going to have to try the zinc.

-- Wendy

12. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

:hi

:thankyou

Sunflower seeds or oil...Ivormectine sub-q! Thanks everyone.​

13. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:lol The sunflower seeds and Ivomec won't hurt...but, here's another thought.

The doe had biting lice instead of sucking lice and they will cause the hair to fall out after treatment.
    I had a doeling that must have had a really bad case of them...I dusted all the babies in the pen, then a couple days later, I had to pick one up...she was shedding hair like a dog! It was all over my shirt. I brushed that doeling until I had a pile of hair and she had bald spots all over her body. That doeling completely lost her hair from her head to the tail. She had hair on her lower legs but her body looked horrible. Kinda' like a bad poodle clip! She stopped itching, as did the rest...and her hair finally grew back in a couple weeks...but she sure was a sight. You're pictures remind me a lot of that doeling.
    Kaye