Doe kidding question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Bella Star, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

My doe kidded about 1 hr. ago with twins ,she dropped 1 placenta and she still looks big... she's eating hay and seems to be doing great. What I am wondering is should I go in , eventho she's fine but looks big still ????

2. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Hi Linda, Yep, that may be the only placenta she had, but better safe than sorry. I would wash up really good with soapy hot water, then clean your arm with some alcohol, then lube up and reach in to your elbo nearly and feel and see if there is another kid in there. Sweep all over. If nothing then at least your mind is at ease.

3. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

If she were mine, I would watch her and give her a little more time........1 hour ain't that long.....now if she acted the least bit stressed, still in labor, pushing for sure, then for sure I would be going in by now.

JMO, Whim

4. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Thanks Y'all , She passed another placenta and seems to be doing fine, she's eating hay and supper grain so I think that's it :biggrin .
    Well, so much for spots from this coco LM doe is solid brown bred to the very black/white spotted N buck = 1solid brown LM doeling and 1 tan LM buckling.... No spots :/ and no long ears :nooo

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

AH am glad to hear that getting long ears from a LM is so very hard to do. even breeding my spotted black and with ND all I got was white or very light tan Mini Lamancha with either elf or gopher ears. Which I was happy. Congrats on two healthy kids and dam.

6. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Sounds like all is well.....congrats.

Whim

7. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Honestly, I have had ears breeding to Boer, the doe's have been solid white and the bucks have been real pretty black and white with ears,one wether sold as a show goat as he was real long in length and looked Boer but I dont keep the doe's for milking as I want dairy bred to dairy for milk ,just me tho.
    My doe is doing good today and the big tall kid's are into sucking one teat so I taped it ... :lol

8. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

I have only the experience of three kidding seasons and about 7 kidding total along with one lambing. I have only seen one placenta passed per doe/ewe, ever. I thought they only had one placenta (?).

9. Katarina

Katarina New Member

"1solid brown LM doeling and 1 tan LM buckling..."

call me a purist but dont you mean an earless experimental? :lol

10. Aja-Sammati

Aja-Sammati Active Member

If the kids were in different horns of the uterus, then they would have two placentas. It means they didn't share a sack.

11. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Okay...how common (or uncommon) to only have one placenta or mulitple placentas? Which is most common?