Doe Kidded-No Udder

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by lyceum, Nov 20, 2007.

1. lyceum

lyceum New Member

We had an 18 month old Nigerian Dwarf doe kid early this morning with twin does that were obviously born dead. She was on day 149. The kids were perfectly formed, just DOA. Kids were both 2 pounds or better. The doe that had them was showing no signs of being close to kidding, except for her ligaments being a little loose (nothing like her twin sister due anytime too). She has absolutely no udder, not even a start. The doe is healthy and up to date on all shots. We have never had a doe that has not formed at least some udder. :help Any advice, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Carisa

2. Josie

Josie New Member

no advice but I had this happen two years ago with a first freshening yearling. dropped kids and no udder or obviously milk.

Udder started developing but no milk until 5 days afterwards.

Last kidding she was totally fine. Freaked me out though at the time it all happened.

3. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

This just happens sometimes, but they usually will come into milk in a few days.

4. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

This can happen when kids are born dead. No hormones to tell the doe to make milk.

If it's important to you that the doe come into milk try milking her several times a day to encourage her to make milk. It can really make a difference.

Good luck.

Sara

5. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

You could also try giving her 1 to 1.5 ccs of oxytocin. Do it before 24 hours pass. If it were me I would do it asap, tonight.

6. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts New Member

Oh shoot - I am sorry for your loss!

7. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Chris...this is WAY TOO MUCH oxytocin for a goat. 1/4th to 1/2cc is PLENTY. Heck, 2cc is for an EXTREMLY nervous dairy cow. And you don't want to use oxytocin for more than max...4 milkings.
    Kaye

8. Melissa

Melissa New Member

just wondering if any changes?

-Melissa

9. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I've given this dosage for years and never had any bad effects from it. I've had the vet tell me 2 ccs. I haven't given that much before, but half that has worked fine. And I've never given but one injection within 24 hours of kidding.

10. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Yea, me too...until I actually talked to a *GOAT* vet instead of a cow vet. Why use more than needed and burn up $$?
    To many days on oxytocin can cause fertility issues in bovine and caprine.
    Kaye