Doe got bit??

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LynninTX, Jun 24, 2008.

1. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

I was just doing my walkabout and my nicest doe... a FF is covered with bites. I could see small bumps all over her side from a few feet away and walked up to her... on her neck and face too.

She is is a new yard since Sunday...

I am in TX so fire ants maybe? Could it be mosquitoes or chiggars? Dh & dc seem eaten up with those...

The doe does not seem to be in any distress so not sure I need to give her benedryl or anything.

This was a FIRST for me.

on her side her hair looks *ruffled* until you run your hand down her... then you feel the bumps... they are more visible on her face & neck...

one just one side I'd say she has close to 50 bites

2. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Same thing happened to my doe last year exact same thing, i posted photos after I shaved her to figure out what was going on. I gave her benedryl. We couldn't find any fire ant hills but I did find a hornet's nest in a small tree that had been chewed on by the goats so I think that was what got her. She recovered fine.

Good luck,
    Autumn

3. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

I need to get clippers... :blush

Vickie is coming today so unless someone says give her benedryl or something now... I'll have her look at her...

Weirdly she just does not seem bothered...

we do have
    mosquitoes
    fireants
    mud daubers
    wasps
    chiggers
    mosquitoes

4. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

better go track down her dam and check her... he milk was low this AM... but our schedule got tweaked when we got new goats Sat...

5. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

dam is clear... one other doe in that yard and 2 in another yard according to son...

looking at one... over Sweetheart's objection they have a red head...

guessing fire ants... the chiggers come to a white head

6. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

biting flies out in full force too

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Am guessing here but would say fire ants and if she doesn't seem stressed then hold off on the benedryl Give her VIT C

8. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

normal self just wants to lean/rub on me... aptly named goat....

9. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I have the same thing on the cows.. all up and down the backsides of their leg, from rectum to udder.. most are just bumps, some have a white head to them.. very itchy. :(

10. Jennie

Jennie New Member

I had the same thing with some of my goats. It's the mosquito's. They seem to like some of the goats better then the others. Same with people. One girl was just covered on her sides. She would rub up and down the fence. One of my DS can run around outside with hardly any cloths on and he will get one maybe two bites. My other DS we just counted 27 on and that was from one night. There were eight on the back of his neck.

11. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

giving her benedryl... she was scratching...

12. Rose

Rose New Member

I had an old mare that got stung by a nest full of yellow jackets. She looked like she had marbles under her skin. Antihistamine and Banamine.