Doe Died During C Section and Babies

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Bethel, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Holly Govero

Holly Govero New Member

WOW. Are you serouis! That is awful! I cant believe it. It is a shock for me to hear that. It sounded like the vet just did it without thinking or something. I am so sorry.

2. Bernice

Bernice New Member

Hi Jerome,

That is so heartwrenching! I am so sorry to hear you lost your doe and the kids too! That's why after all the yrs I have raised goats I both dred and fear kidding season. I've not heard before of giving gas to goats as anthesia.

Where in Virginia are you? I too am in Virginia just south of Farmville and close to the NC border. If you are not too far away I can help if you ever need any help. I also raise Alpines. Just love those mean ole' gals!

3. Bethel

Bethel New Member

Bernice , I am in Amherst , Va. About 60 miles west of Farmville .Thank you for your concern .

4. Theresa

Theresa New Member

I am so sorry that this happened.
    Theresa

5. LLB101

LLB101 New Member

oh gosh, how sad to lose the doe and 2 doe kids... {{{ hugs }}}} to you!

I would think at least an xray as someone said to see "if there's a train wreck" would be called for but I really don't know.

6. Bernice

Bernice New Member

Hi Jerome,

I am about an hr from you. Again, so sorry for your loss. {{HUGS}}

7. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

First of all, I am so sorry you lost her and the kids :(.

Second...I wouldn't be using this vet again. Sounds like a serious lack of communication, you should've signed consent forms, they should have gone over risks, definately done an exam. Wierd that they jumped right in like that.

Third, gas anesthesia is actually safer than most injectables. They wake up much quicker when it's turned off, less side effects, etc. There are a couple of different kinds, the most common being isoflurane in vet hospitals. If that's what they used, it is very safe. Did they use a mask or a tube down her throat?

Again, I am so sorry it turned out this way. Ruminants are tricky to do anesthesia on, goats especially because there is so little research done. I would be looking around for a new vet though.

8. LamanchaLover

LamanchaLover New Member

I am so sorry. That must have been horrible. :down

9. LaManchaPaul

LaManchaPaul New Member

Jerome, I'm very sorry. What a terrible experience.

Best to you and your other goaties.

10. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I'm so sorry for your loss Jerome. I can't believe they would have started surgery without first doing an exam and x-rays! and EXAM! something so fundamentally basic for a vet. I know hindsight is 20-20, but yea, get help from elsewhere!