Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my does has decided she no longer wants to be milked (mini nubian). She grabs her trough, upends it, and does other disagreeable actions. She ignores treats. The pressure gauge on the SP milker is normal. She does not object to being hand milked.

No one is being mean to her. When she does this, I stop milking. But she does not get the choice grain or treats when she does this. She is normally a squirrelly goat she has not been a problem milking her with SP for a few months. I am not mean to her because I think that would only make matters worse.

She may be in heat according to the behaviour of the bucks.

Any tips or suggestions?

Perplexed,

·
Super Moderator
125 Posts
One of my does has done this before.. And basically what u hav to do is jus keep ur hand on her udder and let her know tht you are in control and no matter what ur still gonna milk her..Let me kno if this helps.. You could also jus begin drying her up.. And then once she’s dried up you wouldn’t have to milk her..

·
Super Moderator
125 Posts
Also bucks can go crazy sometimes even when th doe is not in heat.. u mite know this.. but if u have the bucks close to the females she will like hang closed off to them and not so much with the females.. She may try to hump other does.. Her tail also would be wagging quite a bit and she will stand rite there when th buck tries to hump her and she won’t try to run off..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She did the stubborn goat thing and flopped down on the ground. Her version of a sit in! Anyway we moved the milking machine to where she was and milked her...no telling what she is going to do to make milking difficult tomorrow.

I am making sure all the goat treats do not go to her until she gets milked.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I once had to go about 2 weeks with my milking doe's back end in a sling, each milking, to keep her from sitting on my hands. I rigged a harness, from a sturdy ladder in the garage, and sat on the floor to milk her. She finally got the idea that 'Nommie' is not going to lose, in a battle of wills. I still have to use the hobbies, sometimes, but at least now, she's on the stanchion - behaving pretty well, I'm not on the floor, and the milking is much easier and more pleasant, for both of us.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Problem solved. Turns out this doe is an "apple-holic" and she will do anything, including milking for her fix of apple slices.

The second trick with this is to not give her the treat all day. Today when I opened the milking parlor, just like she had for months, she ran in put head through the headgate for grain and apples. She did not get upset by anything the entire milking.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope we are back to square one. Going back to the old school. As soon as I don't need here anymore she is out of rotation and eating brush not alfalfa.

I promised the previous owner I would not cull her. But she is not a pet to us and she is 10 times the work keeping up with her issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi! Our does get grain and alfalfa pellets on the milk stand all they want until they are done milking. If she is flipping the food bucket, screw it down.

When she kicks, don't quit milking and keep the machine or your hands on her udder. You can get straps and tie her legs down to prevent kicking.

She may just be scared of the milk machine, some will not tolerate it and you have to hand milk them.

If she tries to sit or lay down, put a bucket under her belly to prevent it.

Always be quiet and calm. If she does something bad say "no" in a deep firm voice. You do the right thing by not being "mean". Hitting or yelling at a goat will not help the situation and will only make it worse.

If the doe is going to be a problem and will not change, she is YOUR doe and YOU can make decisions for her. She may be better off somewhere else that will not milk her or will put up with her. If the previous owner wants her back, give them the first option. But otherwise, you can't hold on to an animal that is not beneficial for your farm.

Good luck and hope this helped!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Things got better when I discovered she was an apple-holic. She will put up with anything for apple slices. The must fresh as she is a connoisseur of apples. She like them clean and fresh, plus I only give them to her at the milking parlor and only at milking. Complete attitude change. I give her the best, even though she is the most difficult doe I have. Oddly she loves kids. If the grands come into her corral, she all but cuddles them!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also when she thinks she doesn't have any milk left she gets feisty. However, she is fine with hand milking the last couple of ounces, and does not mind having her teats milked, cleaned, and disinfected. I hand milk those last couple of ounces into the claws and she acts like it is business as usual. I feed her a little outside the parlor and she completely behaves. While I am cleaning the milk machine she will come back get up into the milking station and eat more feed while I am cleaning. I let her because I don't want her afraid of anything. I also found out she prefers to be milked in daylight. You can milk her after dark as long as you are making a real effort to milk he frequently in daylight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts