Doe cycling or aborting? PICS

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Feral Nature, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

This is Spice, due March 13, in 7 weeks.

Three year old, 3rd freshener.

First kidding: Single dead buck, 13 days premature, traumatic assisted delivery with 8 days of antibiotics

Second kidding: Triplet bucks, no problem.

However, the whole time I milked her this last time, she would have a clear spit looking drip from her vulva that would dribble down, small amount. Never an odor, always clear.

Today she is overly affectionate with wet tail and pink vulva, wants me to rub her head alot. AND her ligaments are loose.

Bucks are in adjoining pen and she and they are igoring each other.

She is one of the herd queens and not one to get beat up by others. The pic angles are weird because I was holding the tail and camera at the same time, also i cropped to make pics smaller.

What's up?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Anyone?

I have this doe bred to Kelton (again)...and REALLY want a doeling. If she is cycling I have 3 bucks here, 2 LM and 1 MM, so one of them could certainly do the job, I hope, and at least get her in milk. However, at this late date I am not sure that I want to breed her....summer kids and all.

I don't know what I should do with this one and I guess I need to know something soon.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Except for her udder I would say her vulva looks more like she just kidded, is going to kid...rather than in heat. Even my older does with their saggy baggy vuvlas when due to kid do not look like this when they are mearly in heat. Can you run a blood test in, to see if she is indeed bred? Then if not, I would lute her and breed her on that first heat, because she could have a cloud burst...certainly not a normal vulva for a doe who is not due to kid. Does retain that tipped up appearance until quite aged.

When you have abnormal things like discharge etc...always treat early in the year before breeding, this way you have time to lute, do a uterine wash and antibiotics, and then breed the following heat. Vicki

4. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Please forgive me for not knowing, but what is a cloud burst ?

5. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

I have a doe who's vulva started to look like this a few weeks back, also swollen and puffy with loose ligs. Her due date is 2/14 and she has me second guessing that, wondering if she got bred earlier. However no discharge. I have two other goats due the same week and they look nothing like her. All were preg checked with biotracking and confirmed pregnant. She has that same stretched out look like she could pop a kid right out. Weird! I wondered if kid position was causing some unusual pressure or something. I'm clueless!

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I have one that looks like that ahead of time and prolases when laying down and has had quads the last three years.

7. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

I just came back in from evening rounds. She does indeed look swollen like a doe fixing to kid and her udder has "body" and weight to it. She seems to enjoy me fooling around with her tail and hind end like they do when I assist their births (my does are wusses when in labor). She just stands their and lets me manipulate her tail and such. The other does run when I touch their tails and seem put off by it.

I searched the goat yard for any signs of fetuses, just in case, but the Pyrs go in and out of the pen at will through their secret dog hole and would have disposed of anything. There are chickens that have a nest in the pen and the dogs go in everyday to dispose of the eggs.

It is getting cold and it is raining and windy. We will have no lights hooked up outside til i need them for kidding so i can't get blood tonight, certainly can't do it alone today.

I sure hate this, this is the main doe I want a doeling from. I guess she knows she may be on the sale list after she produces one.

About her udder...this doe gets grotesquely HUGE prior to kidding, wouldn't she bag up more if she aborted this late in gestation?

And about what Sondra said...since this doe had triplets last year without BoSe and this year DID have BoSe, is there a chance in heck that she is just poochy from high multiples (even though she doesn't look that big around)...grasping at straws here.

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

She doesn't look to have quads Diane.

9. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

I know :nooo

I am simply trying to will her pregnancy back to good health.

10. NubianSoaps.com

All my does are now at 100 days, and you can feel udder on all of them, you can see udder on most of them and no if they aborted today they would not come into milk...you could possibly milk them and bring them into milk but certainly no record lactation.

A cloud burst is a pregnancy that is just fluid, the doe although she has all the classic sypmtoms of pregnancy doesn't come into heat, doesn't come into milk, and delivers fluid. Looking back her whole pregnancy is a question...Vicki

11. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

So if yall were betting women, it would be a cloud burst then?

12. NubianSoaps.com

Blood test, no question then, cloudburst or not bred she will show open. Ship it out Monday they will call you Thursday or Friday and email you also. Vicki

13. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Thanks, I'll see if my goat holder is up to it...he gets so queasy, may need to find a stand in.

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

put her on the stand Diane and pull it.

15. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

You haven't seen my stand. The head holding part no longer restrains them. They just stand there with their heads in place but it doesn't hold them. I could tie it closed with a rope I guess...I'll give it a try and see if she can get out.

16. NubianSoaps.com

It's so much eaiser with someone hold the head up really high :) Come on Billy! Just look the other way. Vicki

17. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

By the amount of WET on her tail hairs, I agree with Vicki. Either cloudburst or abort. Blood test before you give any drugs...that's the safest way this time of year.
    Kaye

18. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Wow i never had any idea there was such a thing as a cloud burst - how common in goats is this ? Thanks for explaining :+)

Feral Nature - i'm curious about whats up with your doe, and wish you a good outcome :+)

19. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

MiddleRiver, it is happening to another doe. I am just horrified as I have never had anything like this happen before. Only one aborted pregnancy out here before, 2 years ago and that was from a doe ramming a bred doeling into s wooden fence...(I think).

20. Ashley

Ashley New Member