Doe bred and milking-changes

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by baileybunch, Dec 17, 2007.

1. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

My Clover is over 50 days bred now. We are still milking her. This is our first time milking a bred doe. I have noticed changes and I'm not sure if these are normal or if I need to be concerned. A few weeks ago her production began to decrease (as I expected) but one side of her udder is producing much less than the other. She is very lopsided now. Like the decrease is only from the right side. Left side is normal. Udder and teats are all fine. No injuries, no lumps. Today she had two pin-head red clots in her milk (found in the strainer). Nothing has changed here lately except the weather...cold and snow. I took milk samples late last week and put them in the freezer, ready to send off but am worrying about the postal system and the holidays and the lab being on holiday hours. So, haven't sent the samples in yet. So, concerns? Or normal?

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

She could have bruised her udder, certainly would explain the blood specs, and perhaps the side was swollen. Keep milking for awhile and see if it passes, but don't spend alot of time massaging just that side bursting more capilarries in there, or irritating her form healing inside. IF this happened minus the blood specks than I would suggest a test for staph, but not now unless you want to run it. Vicki

3. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

No swelling. The left is normal, the right is shrinking! I'm not overly concerned about a few specks but with the decrease in production and my not having any experience milking a bred doe, I just thought I'd ask. BTW, I sent my milk samples off this afternoon. Pray that they get there still cold! We have such a terrible UPS and USPS system here. Best I could do was 2 day (Wednesday). I had two freezer bags and styrofoam enclosed and bubble wrap...the whole nine yards for 4 little vials! I hope we get good results.