Doe a little off

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Anita Martin, May 9, 2008.

1. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

temp. 102..normal for her. Almost down to half her normal milk production. Started yesterday :sigh. Everyone else is fine. Kidded 3/16. Been in great milk since, 12-14 pounds per day. Now, 8 today and about 10 yesterday. No diet changes. Gave 2 ml bo-se tonight, 2 ml vit. b injection, and 1 oz calcium drench (goats prefer), mixed with water. She is eating hay and went out to graze this evening, but is not eating her milkstand grains. No change there either. Is relaxed on stand and chews cud. Bag feels so much lighter. No other symptoms, just not eating grains and a sudden drop in milk production. Any ideas?
    Thanks so much.
    Anita

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well for starters if it is calcium she is lacking 1 oz didn't do much if anything. 30 cc is needed. and watch that "Goats Prefer" can burn their throat and then they won't eat at all. Is she drinking and eating her minerals? Is she peeing and pooping normal?

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

And how is her gum color, anemia....done a fecal? When a doe is down in milk and it's not milk fever than here it is always a worm burden.

Do go clean out all the water troughs, and check her teeth, make sure she is cudding, all the normal things. Check her feet, and if a Lamancha her ears. Take a temp often to make sure she doesn't have something brewing. It's one thing to be light on milk it's a whole nother thing to be down by half. Vicki

4. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

30 ccs IS one ounce. 60 ccs = 2 ounces.

5. Anita Martin

I hate the "goats prefer" calcium, but it was all I had other than making my own up, which I'll do today. I did mix it with water. Yes, she's cudding, and eating hay. Seems to have lost some weight. I wormed last week with ivomec, and after kidding (march 16) with another wormer. If it were worms I would have expected a more gradual decline, not so sudden I wouldn't think. I was concerned about milk fever, but her temp is normal, but maybe that is brewing in there? She gets free minerals, hay, alfalfa pellets, clean water, etc. I'm 1/2 hour late milking this morning, so I'll see in a few minutes if there has been any change.
    Thanks,
    Anita

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

WELL DUH was thinking 1 cc not oz :)

7. Anita Martin

Star seemed a little better last night. Still no fever or low temp. Ate some grain. Down in milk supply still though. More milk this morning. Hmmm.