Do you store your FOs in glass?

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Kalne, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Kalne

Kalne New Member

I was just reading on another forum about transferring your FOs into glass bottles because the FOs will break down the plastic thus contaminating them. Ugh. I hadn't really thought of that. I don't make and sell soap as fast as some of you so I have FOs sitting around more than 6 months usually. Do you all worry about this? I guess I could transfer them to canning jars that I already have on hand and get bottles when I'm able. But what a pain trying to pour out of jars vs. bottles. Just wondering what you all thought.

2. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

I have never transferred them, and have some up to one year old.. hasn't hurt the bottles yet.. Might be what kind of plastic.. cause I have spilled FO's on other plastics and seen it break it down..
    Barbara

3. Kalne

Kalne New Member

That's what I'm thinking. I checked my bottles and none of them are 'caving' like those that were posted. I use to measure my FOs into plastic dixie cups but soon discovered that wasn't a good idea! LOL

4. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Seems like if it's PETE it (and most of them are) that it should hold up just fine. Most sellers that do plastic have it packaged fine.

Bethany

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You can tell overtime that both types of plastic start losing something. Your bottles will start to implode on themselves like they are building pressure. 16 ounce bottles that I only have a few of simply stay in a darkened area....bigger amounts that I use alot of so buy 5 or 10 pounds I put into 1/2 gallon canning jars, and then yes pour into 16 ounce bottles as I run out. Vicki

6. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Also, Having dark glass bottles is a better idea, but I do like Vicki says and store my FO's that are in plastic in a cool dark area and haven't had problems, but I do go through them fairly fast too.

Bethany