DO you figure more oils in when using EO"s HELP

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Sondra, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well did my soap for the swap and used all EO's using my normal recipe with CP OP now the damn stuff is real sticky or oily and doesn't want to come out the moulds even has of oil at the bottom in spots. Should I put it back in the oven for another overnighter?

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OK used Walmart recipe but took replaced lard with some shea and coco butter , ran thru the calculator and measured every thing exact. (as I don't often do that):)
    and used 5.5 oz of EO's

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

The lye figured to 15.9 oz per the calculator

4. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Are you sure that your scale is accurate? Just a thought.

Sara

5. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

An easy way to calibrate your scale to weigh 5 quarters or 11 pennies, the weight should equal 1 oz

Christy

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Ok just did 5 quarters and it is 1oz

7. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

How long did you mix it?

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

just to slight trace, as you know have been having a problem with getting hard before I get it in the molds so didn't mix as long as usual Do you think I need to rebatch this ??

9. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I would Sondra.

I would be concerned that since you have oil floating in your mold that your soap is lye heavy because of the 'missing' oils.

Just my opinion.

Sara

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

GREAT ok well your swap is not getting citrus spring scent I guess. Now I have always used lavender EO and it never did this and I used 8oz per batch when I didn't know better.
    one other thing I did with this is put in ground up orange peel.

11. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Like Sara said :yeahthat The separation of the oils, with correct measuring of the ingredients, means you did not get complete saponification. Bummer! For my recipe I mix for 5min. (by the clock, not guessing ;) ) to get a light trace.

Christy

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Bet that is what I did wrong didn't mix long enough. But darn Vicki pours her loofa like this was I know and I did that in loofa also and worked fine. of course didn't use these EO's

13. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Some eo's can slow trace - lavender is especially good at that! Some recipes go faster than others...isn't vicki's loofah recipe an oo one?

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yes her loofa's are OO
    Another thing I did and forgot abt is that I got it to light trace but I had taken out 1 1/2 cups of oils and mixed my EO's in to that then put them all in the batch. Then I whipped it somemore but evidently not long enough.

15. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Ok just cut this stuff and it is like vaseline stage in the center only a bit harder but looks that way. SO into the pot it goes.

16. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

Sondra let us know how it turned out when you rebatched.

Sheryl

17. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Yeah...I bet it's the oil you pulled out and added after trace. Needed to be mixed longer at that point. I always dump my eos right into my barely traced soap, mix it in good and pour. But by pulling some oil out I bet that's what did it.

18. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yep I think so too Kalne