Disposable Needles & Husbandry Question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mamatomany, Aug 10, 2008.

1. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

Can you reuse the same disposable needles if it is the same animal and same substance (B12 shot)? If so, how o I clean the needle or don't I need to. When it is done, we cap it, is that sufficient. Also, the two goats we have are let out to pasture in the daytime and brought into a stall at night. The flooring is actually a thick pad used for horses for stress reduction. I put about 3 big packages of saw dust all over. There is an automatic drinking and I have a hay bag set up. My question is, is that o.k. for them? I certainly can't keep all those tiny turds out. Sometimes their pee I can scoop or if there is an accumulation of poop in one area I can get it, but it falls rght through my mucking tool :/ Thanks everyone

2. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

Needles get really dull after they are used more than a couple of times. I don't think I would reuse them. I do reuse syringes some though.

Tiffany

3. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

You can reuse the needles and syringes BUT you need to use a disenfectant on the syringe and needle between uses.
    1. Mix a mixture of 1 teaspoon of Chlorehexidine or Nolvasan into 1 pt. of water (you can cut it down to a cup~you do the math)...draw this solution into and squirt it out 3-5 times through the syringe and needle. Pull the plunger out of the syringe and lay on a paper towel to dry. Needles dull quickly, especially the 22ga. . If you have to force it into the bottle of meds. It's time to change needles. Sometimes before you do the above you can drag a fingernail over the beveled end of the needle and check for a barb. Barb...you trash it.
    2. NEVER use a needle on two goats.

You might also consider ordering a 100 count box of syringes w/ needles from Jefferpet.com. This is the BEST way to go. Rather than re-using.

As for your stall bedding...can I send my goats to live with you?? :/ Mine get dirt at night.
    Kaye

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

When using something benign like B vitamins etc. I reuse needles. I also give shot after shot until it's dull on my kids and even put that same needle into the CD&T over and over until dull. Like Kaye I do resuse syringes and clean them with chlorhexideen, but they aren't reused for injections they become worming or corid syringes for kids.

Some would clean the stall every day, I can't afford to do shavings like that. I clean the barns when it is embarassing, more berries than shavings but certainly before it is wet. About every 2 weeks or if it's really really wet outside. I haven't had a chance to redo since the hurricane. If you are on cement your idea is good on the mat and shavings...if you are on dirt you might want to save this type of bedding for winter and spring kidding, having just dirt you rake during the summer and fall. Vicki

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

With the stall mats I don't use shavings or straw except in winter just use a floor broom and sweep it out

6. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

I would love to hear how many needles and syringes some of you go through to how many goats...... I bought several boxes from Jeffers this yr but with so many goats & so many new goats I am surprised at what I go through!

I only use needles once and I do reuse syringes for orals...

7. Tricia

Tricia New Member

I have a friend who usually uses shavings but switched to sawdust one season for cost savings. The herd developed a lot of hoof problems that gradually went away when she starting using shavings again. Too much damp sawdust packed between toes and the dew claws.

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I think I've ordered 3 times this year...3cc. 6cc & 12cc I've only ordered once and should make the year on those. But, when you're doing calves, horses, and goats...you have a tendency to go through a lot of syringes & needles. Plus the fact I send out meds. in them and keep a well stocked medicine kit.

Oh, BTW...anytime you give a banamine shot, be sure and use a new syringe & needle. Because it reacts to about every kind of med. known and will form a jel if there's a spot of med. left in the needle or syringe.
    Kaye

9. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

thanks Kaye...

I bought -

4 boxes of 3cc
    5 boxes of 6cc
    2 boxes of 12cc
    1 box of 35cc
    1 box of 60cc

3 boxes of 22ga
    1 box of 20ga
    2 boxes of 18ga

I am really trying to only need to order 1x a yr... of course that has not worked YET!

10. NubianSoaps.com

Wow Lynn!

There is no CAE prevention in kids pens housed together on the lambar, so ditching needles to me is wasteful and with large groups especially the first shot at 3 weeks before everyone is sold, I use up the one whole CD&T bottle anyway so just pull and inject pull and inject :) When it pokes a hole instead of slides in, the next kid gets a clean needle :)

I buy 2 boxes of 3cc sure lock syringes with needles, a whole box of needles a box of 6cc. I then have a nylon syringe that I can clean that holds 12cc. I pick up 12cc a couple of 1 ounce and 2 ounce syringes and large bore needles and some 1cc from my vet or the coop when I run up.

You might want to move to a nylon syringe setup with the size your herd will be next year. They are a little harder to get used to but when doing multiple vaccines or treating illness in groups they are really nice. Don't go to large. vicki

11. NubianSoaps.com

I do not consider purchased kids, part of my lambar group even when they go into the group of kids pens. They would get a seperate needle....wanted to ad that, I purchase few kids and didn't want to overlook this. Vicki

12. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

thanks Vicke!

And I still have boxes... I just feel like they are going at an alarming rate...

Just trying to do it all *right*....

I use or toss the whole cd&t bottle too...and lysignin

oh and I have a bunch of 1/2cc syringes I bartered for....

so hmmm thinking on this... I normally draw up in the house... then we take out in a small ice chest..... along with the alcohol & cloths...

so doing it that way how do you avoid cd&t lumps... some seem to get them and some not.. even with fresh needles/syringes and alcohol cleaning...

ah thanks for that info too....

13. NubianSoaps.com

I put my CD&T bottle into an insulated cup that I put ice around and put the top on. I purchase several bottles every winter. One is used for prekidding vaccines for the does, and the kids first shots until I run out. The next one is for the last of the kids first shots and some of the second....then all of the rest of the second and the third shots of kids I keep after 12 weeks. With most kids leaving after 3 weeks and only keeping 5 kids with one purchased doeling I only used 3 vials...I ditch them...and purchase again in the winter. This way the vaccines are new, and I use my cheese wax to cover the tops, or light a candle an drip wax over the top, and have even used white glue. I have forgotten my cup of vaccine out in the barn before, if the ice is melted I throw away the vaccine.

When we milked big time and freshened 25 does 3 times a year, I bought the big bottles of vaccine, did alot less vaccinating, sold nearly all kids before 3 weeks old, most hours old and it was when I started the vaccinated cow program...my best does were highly vaccinated and some of thier colostrum was used on all kids born on the farm...so the unvaccinated, except for staph dams, weren't the only source of colostrum...plus one group of 25 were all CAE or CL or both positive and no colostrum or milk fed to their kids. Vicki

14. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

interesting.... good info thanks...

15. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I almost never reuse needles/syringes. The exception being vaccinating kids in the same group...then occasionally. I feel better using a fresh needle, I know I'm not mixing drugs, and I'm not cross-contaminating between goats.