Disease of the Goat by John G. Matthews

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by DostThouHaveMilk, Nov 23, 2007.

1. DostThouHaveMilk

DostThouHaveMilk New Member

Does anyone have the book mentioned above? Any thoughts on it?
    The farm is going to purchase Goat Medicine to have on hand and the above book is offered as part of a deal along with Goat Medicine.
    The reviews looked good, though it sounds like it would be better for my vet than me...lol Or at least someone who has a better understanding than I do about meds and such.

Is there a particular edition of Goat Medicine that is best? Are there even different editions?

2. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts New Member

I went and looked and I actually have a old copy of this book. It is pretty well written - maybe a little outdated as far as some medicines - but still is a good reference book. I can't comment on the Goat Medicine book since I don't have that one.

3. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

I personally did not like the John Matthews books and sold it after is sat in the bookshelf for several years. I do use and love the Goat Medicine book. It's pricey, but worth having on hand!

4. Tricia

Tricia New Member

I think the Matthew's book is excellent! Very good diagnostic sections. I use it in conjunction with Smith and Sherman's Goat Medicine.

5. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

If anyone is interested I have AN EXTRA COPY OF MANAGEMENT AND DISEASE OF DAIRY GOATS BY SAMUEL GUSS .I bought 2 by accident and will sell for what I paid.

Patty

6. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

So far there is only one edition of Goat Medicine. Hopes are they will publish an updated one in the near future.

I only scanned the D.O.G. book and wasn't too impressed. Not enough detail for me.
    Kaye

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

The Dr. Guss book is excellent! As is the Alice Hall, Robert Jackson book, Alice is Hallcienda Nubians. To many of the books only have one or two chapters of interest, and once you have had goats for awhile they simply become collectors items for you. Many give you "call your vet" for advice :) Promise if you purchase GM you will be in it weekly. Vicki

8. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

I really like my Dr. Samuel Guss book too!!! My good friend and goat veterinarian was mentored by him. The book may be older and out of print, but still has some good stuff in it.

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I love his quote about minerals, I used to use it in my signature. About how goat breeders give their goats a whole lot of credit they don't deserve offering them a smorgesboard of choices. :) It was my first goat book, followed by Alice Halls. Vicki

10. UnRuli Acres

UnRuli Acres New Member

I also have the Sheep & Goat Medicine Book by Pugh that I found to be a good companion to the Goat Medicine book. It was awful expensive tho', and if given a choice I would chose the Goat Medicine book over it.

I'll have a whole series of goat books to sell once I get my 50 posts in as well as a bunch of other things......I guess I'm just trying to hold on to them a little longer.