discipline help

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Jo~*, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

OK, whats the best way to discipline a goat? By discipline I mean so they have at least some manners.
    Maybe teach is a better word. When I look into one of my goats eyes I can see the wheels turning and I just have a hunch they are handled differnt than other animals. I almost get the feeling that a goat can plot revenge :evil From the little time I have had my two doelings I have learned that goats are very smart. They learned to lead in a matter of minutes it seemed. ( the Lamancha a bit sooner than the Nubian :lol)

2. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Hmmmm ? Hey Jo. You are very much right......most goats are very smart, and catch on quick to things sometimes. I'm sure that everybody has their own way of dealing with their goats, but since I have more background in dogs than I do goats, I've tried to convert many principles over from one to the other.
    The best that I remember....your two goats are just really very young, and so you can expect them to be rambunctious for the most part. If they wasn't , then I would almost be worried about them.
    Patience on your part, will have to be at it's peak for the next 3 or 4 months with those girls. After they get about 6 months old, they seem to settle down just a little.
    Keep in mind too...that goats are kinda hard headed and rebellious animals to begin with, so to some degree, I'll put up with some of it because I know that it is just their nature.

Any act of meanness gets dealt with here the quickest. If one gets aggressive towards me in any way, they get throwed to the ground like a roped steer, and I will usually place my knee on their neck ( not choking) and hold them down until I think the understanding that what they did is a no - no. I often use the word NO !!! when making corrections with them like this.

Raising goat kids, ain't much different than raising the human kind. It sometimes takes repeating things several times to them before they get it.....and just when you think that you've got the problem solved, they will do it again.....and sometimes they do it just to spite you.
    I think that the main thing with goats is that you must not let them slip a little every now and then, unless you want to have to deal with re-training them over and over. Your gonna have to be firm about certain things with them, and not back down for the most part.
    When I'm not in the pen with mine, I let goats be goats, because that is what they do....but when I'm in there (like feeding or milking), I expect a little better behavior out of them....and for sure out of my more mature one's.
    Even when you own just two, I think that you can always expect to have at least one hard head in the crowd.
    Stay firm, patient, and consistant, with whatever it is that your trying to train them to do...that will be the key to your success.

Lots of JMO here, ...hope it helps you some....

Whim

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

a firm NO, stepping on the back toes when they jump up on you and what Whim has said. Tho have to say my kids are not the most well mannered I have seen. The biggest thing for me is not to play push /head butt with any of them tho it is cute when little it can be very dangerous when they grow up especially with lil bucks.

4. cloverhillgoats

cloverhillgoats New Member

I have a Nubian/LaMancha that is nosy and dingy. When she gets into something of mine that she shouldn't, I just take an open flat hand and do a little slap on the nose and say "NO". She'll shake her head and turn it away. If she comes right back, I just repeat the same. She gets the message about the third time. I started doing that with my wether, because I didn't want to push him away since he would react by butting. It worked really well on him. I also read on here that someone takes a spray bottle of water and spritzes them in the face to train them not to jump on her. I thought that was a good idea--especially for the stampede of a bigger herd. ;)

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep I use a spray bottle all the time with the full grown does

6. haeema

haeema New Member

Spray bottle works well with most animals. I have used it on my dogs and cats as well.

7. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

I'm glad that I don't have to be heavy handed or anything because I'm a bit of a softy with my critters. My Nubian doeling ( name is Sticky ) is darn right rude but shes so dog gone cute doing it.

8. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Jo...I almost said this in your other thread, but was almost afraid somebody would take it the wrong way.....but I'm gonna say it anyway. Nubi's are a special breed of goat, and I really believe that it takes a special type of person to raise them. I think the temperament in the Nubi's have a much wider range than in about any other of the goat breeds. Not everybody that raises goats is cut out to raise Nubi's.
    You will just have to be firm with her about some things, and probably more so than with the LM. Wait until you get you a buck in rut.......you get to really deal with something then. :crazy

Whim

9. Carolyn

Carolyn New Member

Betty--the Nubian we lost earlier this year had a "naughty" streak once in a while. She was by herself for a little while and was left to run in the yd. One day she decided to use DD2's car (Neon) for a slide--she would run up the back and kinda slide down the front---DD would yell and tell her NO NO and Betty would stomp her feet, shake her ears and when DD's back was turned, she did it again---- sooo I told DD to put her back in her pen for a while. She screamed and screamed, we really thought she got caught somewhere--no she was jsut having a fit. after she settled down, we let her out, but she never "slid" down the car again. We really havn't had too many other problems with the others. Good luck--will be watching for ideas. Carolyn