Disbudding services

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by backyard_farm, Mar 5, 2008.

1. backyard_farm

backyard_farm New Member

:help
    Does anyone know of someone who does disbudding of goats? I live near Galveston but will travel to have it done.
    My husband and I have tried for the last two days to disbud a kid and still haven't got it. We have never seen disbudding done and don't have anyone to show us how. I am going by the instructions online. I know we are not leaving the iron on long enough, but I am afraid of burning too long and cooking the kid's brain and killing him. These kids are pets, so I really don't want to mess up. We have burned about 5 times today and about two yesterday and only have a very thin copper ring. And the kids are now 17 days old. I wasn't able to do it when they were first born as I didn't have the disbudding iron yet. And we have not been able to do it until now. So, I was hoping to find someone who could do it for us; or even just demonstrate how it is done.
    I have this kid and three others to do. these are all 17 day old nubians; three bucklings and one doeling.
    Also, is there any chance of infection since we didn't get it finished? I sprayed with Furral when we were done.
    I am so thankful :D to all of you who keep this forum going and who are always ready to give helpful advice to people like me who know nothing about goats. I would really be in trouble without this forum.
    Thank you,
    Belinda

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Belinda call Kenny....you will have to pay her gas or meet her up here, but she is great. 936-232-8327 She charges $5 per kid, also does shots, bands, shaves, trim feet, tattoo's nearly any kind of regular management, great to watch her to learn also. Vicki

3. backyard_farm

backyard_farm New Member

Thank you Vicki. :D I will call her. Is she in Cleveland? I will meet her if I need to. It would be great to be able to watch someone, as we have so much to learn.
    Thanks again,
    Belinda

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

She is about 12 miles or so out 105 between Cleveland and Conroe. I am about 12 miles north. Vicki

5. backyard_farm

backyard_farm New Member

Thanks again Vicki :D I will call her tomorrow.
    Belinda