disbudding irons

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by chewie, Nov 28, 2008.

1. chewie

chewie New Member

before i have a pen of kids, i would like to get myself a disbudding iron. is one better than another? anyone have a used one to sell? any advice?

2. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

If I had it to do over, I would spend the extra $ and get the X50. I'm OK with the X30 on my ND doe's, but really need wider thicker coverage on my bucks. The X50 can fit a "buck tip"........and I think it would help me if I had it.

JMO, WHIM

3. chewie

chewie New Member

where would you get this x50?

4. shawhee

shawhee Member

Chris,

Jeffers carries them, but you can do a search for "rhinehart x50 dehorner" and compare prices and shipping charges for the best price.

Shawna

5. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

Hey Chris, if you do the research on the "cheapest" could you please post it for the rest of us :)

6. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I love the Rhinehart X50 A and I got it from jeffers and got the extra tips from Hoeggers. I got the buck tip and the nigi tip and they are wonderful. Sometimes the tip of the Rhinehart is too larger for them that is why I got the extra tis to go with it. I also use the burner on my calves as its base is big enough and it gets hotter than the Lynx I bought a few years back as I had problems with it...get the best you can afford and go for it. Also try ebay as some are reasonable there.
    Kathy

7. chewie

chewie New Member

does this x50 come with a tip useable for saanen/nubians kids or do i need to get a separate tip?

didn't find any on ebay, i'm guessing that'd be few and far between. and really, things like this are usually best jsut buying new, if it stops working, a good supplier will fix the problem. and is why i'm trying to find one now, so come kidding i wont' be waiting for UPS to show up!

8. Theresa

Theresa New Member

You have to buy the tip separate. I believe that you can get a copper bearing from the hardware store that will work for the tip. I have the rhinehart 30x that I bought off ebay for $20 or so. When I have to buy another one, I am going to get the 50x.
    Theresa

9. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Same here, I have the X30, but will be buying the X50 before I have more kids to do...the X30 just doesn't burn a wide enough ring.

10. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

I have the X50 and like it a lot.

11. chewie

chewie New Member

well, guess i know what i want for christmas! thanks for the opinions, nice to know i'm making the right purchase

12. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

I also have he x50. Love it. Have used it since 1991. Got another as a back-up when a friend had to sell her goats. The newer tips are thicker, which I like better. I also have a buck tip somewhere, but have never used it.
    They get hotter and hold their heat much better when doing several kids in a row.
    Les

13. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

I have had a rhineheart x50 now for over 20 years. Granted, for quite a few years, it was not used, because we did not have any goats, but we got back into them a few years ago, and it still works like brand new.. we also have the smaller tip. I hope Santa brings you one! :)

14. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

I would assume Jeffers would be the best price as it is free shipping on anything of $49.00

15. Sondra

Sondra New Member

All of them need to be retro fitted like Theresa said with a copper bushing ask Vicki she knows just what it is and the size I can't remember.