disbudding info quick please

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LynninTX, Jan 22, 2008.

1. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

My dh burns.... I hold...

Well at almost 35 weeks pregnant I am passing the holding torch on to my dd...

they MUST do it tonight...

dh is working late tomorrow...

he just said he can't recall procedure.....

:help2 :help2

thinking...

shaving
    burn
    pop off cap
    lay iron on side to burn where you popped off
    burn again
    ice water

repeat on other side

furral

right? wrong???

ack HOW did we forget?

2. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

You didn't forget. That sounds right. I shave the hair off, burn around the horn bud, pop it off, lay iron flat and scoot it around over it then I hold it up straight and burn around the bud again. I count 18, 15, and 15. Spray with fural and give them a bottle. I'm mean... I don't do the ice pack. :/ I've just used the fural spray to cool down the burn, until it quits sizzling. Don't forget the tetanus antitoxin shot and tatto the ears (or tail web) at the same time if you have time to do it.

3. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

And those that pray....

#1 Becca has never even SEEN it done
    #2 I am concerned she'll not hold it firm enough
    #3 I do NOT think I am capable of demonstrating
    #4 I don't think her hands will fit in my gloves
    #5 Harold can't recall procedure for sure
    #6 Just always a scary process
    #7 We never replaced our clippers and it takes dh FOREVER to trim the hair with scissors

4. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

OK THANK YOU!

It is so routine when you are doing it... but we are new enough that first one... ya know

5. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Of course the first 4 are DOES... I'd much rather they practice on a wether to be...

6. Cotton Eyed Does

I have to disbud that big chunk of a boer doeling tomorrow by myself. I might wait til Thursday since tomorrow is suppose to be so cold and raw outside. Think I'll give this little one inside a little more time before I disbud her.

7. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

really Vicki... that would save time... hmmmm

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep just sticks like burning hair. don't forget CD/T or Tetnus

9. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

I have never given cd/t at disbudding unless I bought the mom pregnant and was unsure of status since all my moms are up to date and boostered prekidding....

Vickie that is what you do correct???

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I didn't either Lynn until I got the little guy that got tetnus this year from disbudding who didn't have his shots yet so from now on they will get tetnus shot.

11. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

hmmmm

I give CD&T to my does prekidding to bolster the antibody in the colostrum, it is also their yearly booster. My kids all coming from vaccinated does and all recieving older moms colostrum don't get their vaccinations until 6, 9 and after 12 weeks old.

I have tetanus antitoxin, but not the vaccine I don't think....

and blush I do overkill... my does get cd/t 2x a yr.... pre breeding and pre kidding

12. Cotton Eyed Does

I always give a Tetanus antitoxin shot when I disbud and/or tattoo. The effect is more immediate than giving a cd/t shot. It takes a while for the regular vaccine to take effect.

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep tetnus antitoxin and I used to always do this but this past year I didn't and got tetnus when the horn bud loosened. but didn't come off loosen just enough for the infection to get in under that bud.

14. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

OK... I actually managed to squat & hold the first for the first bud to show her...

NO PICS! LOL

I observed her as she held for the second bud, then the second goat....

Back in the house now out of the smell of burning hair & flesh....

They will try to do at least 5 tonight... 10 are ready... next chance will be Sun... possibly Sat night....

15. Katarina

Katarina New Member

I know it is a little late for tonight, but I thought I would share..

This is how we do it.

shaving
    burn
    pop off cap
    lay iron on side to burn where you popped off
    burn again
    Furall
    Bottle

I never thought of wearing gloves. I was more worried about getting my face burned! Mom has this habit of lifting it off the head fast and away from her and the goat almost like she is swinging upwards. So as soon as she lets go I let the goat and drop back.

Also, (don't tell my dad) we use the same trimmers that my dad uses. :D Sure we buy a new set ever year, but by the time the show season our $10 trimmers are toast.

How did Becca handle it?

Remember....I'll tell you the same thing I ask mom.....PLEASE be careful! Try not to get hurt!

This is one thing I have no idea how we will handle when our goats are ready to be done. :D

16. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Becca is doing great... they are going to try for all 10.

I have a pr of very *fitted* leather gloves... so no bulk, but helps protect that area between thumb & forefinger from the heat of the iron when burning...

:lol On the trimmers... these were one of our human sets too.....

OK they are just now done.... 9 goats done and dh decided #10 could wait...

17. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Strangely, I enjoy disbudding.

I don't shave them first either. I have shaved them in the past, but have to use hubby's shaver and he don't like that. I like to disbud at 4 days but have done it as late as 19 days...which was not good. The horn buds took forever to heal over afterwards. At 4 days it is over and done quick with minimal distress, so I try to do it then even if I don't have time.

I wear a glove on the hand I am steadying with and advise my goat holder to do so also. Hubby and I kneel on padding because our knees wear out quick doing this deed. Also, frozen peas will cool the little goat heads after burning. I don't use furral as a rule but will use it if the horn bud looks weepy later.

Oh, and make sure the iron is hot enough for each burn, don't get in a hurry.

18. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If you disbud and use antitoxin, the antitoxin only works for about 10 days, it does not build immunity and given this young may also break down maternal immunity. You are not giving a toxoid shot right away, so at day 11 until the second toxoid shot (CD&T etc.) given 21 days after the first is when immunity is sealed, the kid has no immunity for tetanus. So are you going to give antitoxin every 10 days until immunity is sealed? I mean it wouldn't hurt anything to do that except if you ever have antiphlaxis it will be from antitoxin shots.

We do all we can. Even vaccinating won't be 100%. Vicki

19. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

thanks Vickie I appreciate that... I did not do it... debated... but things have gone well to date and I am pretty confident of my maternal immunities...

Diane I like the wash cloths in ice water better than frozen veggies... though you do end up squatting in a puddle as time passes....