Disbudding guidance

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by tlt0000, Nov 24, 2012.

1. tlt0000

tlt0000 New Member

I just bought a Rhinehold 30X for my birthday. I am getting ready to do the triplets that were born on Monday. I am looking for advice on how to do it. I know the basics but don't have the hands on experience. I know I want a copper ring, but what does that mean, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
    tara

2. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

I would youtube it. There ae several videos. My first year I had lots of redo's. I don't monkey around with ice like others. I burn quick once to make sure I have the center of the bud correct. Then I burn until the center easily comes off. I take the side of the iron and burn the middle and then I finish up, usually 8 seconds on each side. I spray when I'm done with furall (yellow stuff you can't find anymore) and off the little buggers go.

3. It's a personal preference, but I wear welding gloves when I disbud. I'm terrified of slipping with the iron and burning my fingers. Wearing the gloves helps me relax and do a better job. Remember that with bucks, most scurs occur toward the "front and center" of their crown. Burn it well, but be on the look-out for scurs. Bucks can sometimes stubbornly re-grown those scurs a few times over. I used to use a kid box, but found it more useful and less traumatic for the both of us if I'm not crushing their trachea by holding their head down in it. Therefore, I've begun simply squatting over the kid while it's in a lying down position and squeezing it between my knees. I hold their head to the ground and burn. I turn their head a little to either side depending upon which side I'm currently burning. I rely on natural light and don't do well with inside light, so I always burn during the day so I can really see my work. I like to finish off with a dab of tea tree oil over the burns. I don't know if it does much, but at the very least it helps the smell a bit! Also, I chew gum when I disbud so I don't have to taste the burning flesh/hair smell.

4. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

What Linda said. Plus, roll the iron around. You can't just put it on straight and get a good burn. I go for 6 seconds and then take a look. I do the other horn bud and look at that one. Then I reburn, paying special attention to the side that doesn't have the copper color. Flip the horn bud off and burn that in a "plus sign" pattern.

Shave the hair around the horn buds. It helps to see them better and there's less smell.

5. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

Was posting at the same time as Adrienne. I like the kid box. My husband holds the muzzle down while I burn. Although I can see if you are doing it alone, I think Adrienne's holding technique would work better.

6. tlt0000

tlt0000 New Member

So it is best to roll the iron around bud and not hold it straight on? If the copper ring is not complete, do I roll some more or just put it on the spot that get the ring? I flip the bud off with a flip of the wrist, right? Kind of flip up on one of the edges? for the + sign do I use the edge of the iron and make the + over the center of the bud? The volume on my computer is shot so youtube is essentially useless except of the pictures.

Thanks all for your help.
    tara

7. Once you think you've got your nice, even copper ring, then use the edge of the iron to sort of "scoop" at the edge of the center. It reminds me of the concept of popping the head off a dandelion or something of the sort. If it readily pops off, then you're done and you burn the little "x" with the edge of the iron. If it doesn't readily loosen and pop off, then try burning just a little more.

8. fmg

fmg New Member

My husband and I tag team it. He sits on the disbudding box and I hold the kid's head down on the chin rest. I usually do the clipping (clip hair on top of head) and he burns the main horn bud (we usually go one go, then other side, then another go, and see if it needs any more, usually two is all it takes with my iron, sometimes 3... yours may be different). I trim the caps off with hoof trimmers (really grosses out my husband every time. ;))..my friend uses a knife to do the same, and scoop it out. It's not hard to get off, especially when hot, so doesn't really need to be sharp or anything. Then he burns the middle with the side of the iron. If it is a buck, he hands me the iron and I use the side to burn the front and center "bump". I'm not sure if lamanchas have this, but alpines, minis, and ND's all have this ridge that extends down from the main part of the horn bud front and center to it. I think they actually make a piece for irons that is shaped that way for the buck kids, but I don't have it, so I just do a second burning and hope for the best.

9. happy vagabonds

happy vagabonds New Member

How long after disbudding will I know if I have done a good job or if scurs are going to come in? I did everything mentioned above except the plus sign thing...... I watched a few Youtube videos and went to my mentor's farm to learn how to do this procedure. My mentor doesn't do the scooping thing. I decided to do the scoop thing after watching the Youtube videos.

I know that I totally botched the first one... my buckling. His poor little head is still healing as he is breaking open the healing bits at the edges with his butting and rubbing.

I feel like I did a better job with the doelings. I made sure that there were the copper rings... but I do note that one girl still has lumps in the center. Is that normal? Or did I mess that up? I kinda figure that it's okay since my mentor doesn't even bother to scoop and she doesn't have scur issues. How quickly will I see regrowth of that bud if I flubbed it? And if I did mess it up, when do I redo it? After the giant circle has healed? Or just burn over the circle?

I turned the iron to the side to cauterize the remaining horn bud(?) after the scoop.

Thanks for any advice on this.

10. smithurmonds

smithurmonds New Member

I am having such a hard time visualizing this, Nancy! :) I pop off the whole center piece with the iron, but I can't visualize how you would do this with hoof trimmers. And yes, LaMancha bucks have the fluted part.

11. fmg

fmg New Member

And we couldn't figure out how to do it with the iron!

12. tlcnubians

tlcnubians New Member

I've always used hoof trimers too, to either cut the protruding bit off down to the skull, or just cut the fur off. Just remember that there are many differences in horn buds - does are different than bucks, and Swiss breeds need to be disbudded sooner and more aggressively. And learn how to count slowly enough - one thousand one, one thousand two, etc., so you really are holding and rotating the iron long enough. I use a Rhinehart X50 and burn for 10 seconds which usually means I'm burning all the way down to the skull, but we still get scurs on occasion and I have a buckling that has a real horn on one side of his head! Not sure what happened there. Also, if you're disbudding outside, be aware that if it's windy you need to put your iron in a draft-free area or it will cool off too much to be as effective (learned that the hard way!). I do all the disbudding and tattooing by myself, putting each kid into the holding box, wrapping their ears under their jaws and holding them down firmly with my left hand, while I disbud with my right. After disbudding, I put Blue Kote on the burned area (it comes in a bottle with a dauber which is really easy to use). Then I tattoo them after disbudding while they're still captive in the box. DH usually finds somewhere else to go while I'm doing all this to his "babies"! LOL

13. smithurmonds

smithurmonds New Member

Are you using the tip of the nippers at an angle?

14. H Diamond Farms

H Diamond Farms New Member

And if you have to use an extension cord, make sure it's a heavy one! I used too light of an extension cord last year.. thought I had done a good job, boy was I wrong. Had scurs all over the place.

15. fmg

fmg New Member

I just use them against the head and cut the bump flat. Not the tip, the side of the nippers.

16. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I check heads every weekend, and reburn any raised areas that I can feel. When somebody complains about a scur, I have very little sympathy after they have been given instructions to check heads.

We disbud before there is much growth so there is nothing to cut off, we also burn a 3/4 inch circle, then burn inside the circle with the side of the iron.

It was getting pretty funny this last week between husband and I....this is the last kid we will ever disbud, this is the last tattoo of a goat (because we do dogs :) this is the last goat feed, last alfalfa pellets, last does I will milk as of this morning, the last goat haul ended today...the list went on and on. I told him as of Tuesday morning I was turning over the keys to the barn to him, to keep clean, I have cleaned and leaf blown that barn millions of times, Monday morning will be my last time. Vicki

17. happy vagabonds

Vicki...reading your posts lately leaves me with a mixture of feelings... I feel your happiness and relief... hopefulness about this new chapter of your life... excitement at being able to put this old part of your life to rest (this goatkeeping business is flippin' hard work if you do it right!)... also a little bittersweet sadness to see your words... saying goodbye to this part of your life.

Anyway... i think I shall take pictures and post them here. I am wondering if what *I* am seeing as a raised area.... really is... should it be smooth, smooth, smooth? I disbudded my buckling at 4 days and the girls between 7 & 9 days.

Anyway... out to milk. i am late already.... this 3x a day milking nonsense is rough. I am crazy.

18. smithurmonds

smithurmonds New Member

Hear, hear.

19. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

:)

The area of your burn should feel like a big knee scab on a child, it raises up, is bubbly feeling and then comes off in a big round circle. When you run your thumbs around it at not time do you feel little tiny sharp areas. If the whole area raises with a horn around the edge, you only disbudded the top of the horn (which happens a lot with the tips that simply are not big enough around).

20. happy vagabonds

Oooohhh... I think I understand... scurs would be forming at the outside circle of the burn. If I got the copper rings (which I did before I scooped the middle out) that essentially cuts off the blood supply to the horn bud at the center and it (the center bit) will eventually 'die off' and drop off if there is any remnant remaining. Yes?