disbudding emergency!!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by andiplus5, Mar 24, 2008.

1. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

I disbudded 6 kids yesterday. It was my first time and all are doing well. Except one. Her little horn buds are oozing thick pus and she is listless. She didn't even make a noise when I took her from her mom and into the house. Usually when I pick up any of them and walk to the house they call to momma the whole way, including this one. My question is what should I do? How do I know if she's really even sick or infected? Thanks in advance,
    Andi in OK

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Obviously something has gone wrong. I would take something to the head, veggy brush etc, and scrub the head well. Redisbud, make sure it is super hot, and then spray with fural. What did you spray the heads with afterwards? I woud also put her on an antibiotic and use banamine for the pain. One year my husband grabbed a spray container for screw worms and sprayed the heads, we had this happen in a group of sold kids. I scrubbed the heads, redisbudded, sprayed with fural, gave everyone some naxcel and banamine for the pain. They were over it in about 24 hours so they only got 3 injections. Vicki

3. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

I would also check her temp. I'm trying to envision where the pus would be coming from as everything should be cauterized.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

To deep of burn will bring actual fluid surronding the brain to the surface and makes the head weep. Cauterising it will stop it.

Antibiotics because her fever will spike...then if she has neurological sypmtoms you add dexamethazone for the brain welling.

Without excellent nursing...tubing, subq fluids, antiobiotics, steroids, a young kid can't live through this menengitis.

We will just hope she sprayed something crazy like we did on the hornbuds which made them soften and weep. Vicki

5. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

Thanks everyone. I called the vet who was busy. He is always swamped on mondays. But I took my baby down to the feed store because the owner has goats too. (i bought my buck from him) Anyway several goat farmers were in there at the time and between 4 or 5 of us we got her taken care of. She got some stuff put on the wound and something for the fever and now she is out with mom running around and eating. It's amazing...they can go from looking like they're dead one minute to prancing around the next! Anyway, I'm keeping an eye on her and I may bring her in for the night. If she gets worse I was told by the vet's receptionist to bring her in tomorrow. I just have to call in the morning and let them know if I'm bringing her or not. Thanks for the advice....I guess there is no way to learn but by experience!
    Andi

6. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

thank goodness you had some experienced help around. : ) thats great.
    Sherrie

7. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Did you make sure you gave her a tetanus antitoxin shot? Definitely want to do that. Glad she is feeling better.

8. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I was holding my breath when reading this topic. So glad she is doing better. I think I can breathe again now. :)

-Kim

9. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

I did forget to mention that this was all done in a nice and orderly fashion. The babies were brought to the house and had their little heads shaved while on the porch, then on to the kitchen where they got their CD/T shots. Then they got the dreaded disbudding iron. Then they went to mom to get a consolation feeding! So yes, she had her shot first, then the disbudding.
    Thanks everybody!
    Andi
    PS--the boys were supposed to get banded too, but dh opened the package and took out the banding tool, put the band on it and opened it up, the stupid thing broke!! brand new!! it was their lucky day! now they won't get banded until its time for shot #2 of the CD/T.

10. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

I believe that it is the tetanus ANTITOXIN that you want to give before disbudding, not a toxoid...

11. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Yep I use the Tetanus antitoxin before disbudding the CD/T takes 3 weeks to work. She will need the antitoxin for instant protection.

12. steffb

steffb New Member

I am soooo glad I leave my horns on.

13. Cotton Eyed Does

DITTO.. This is very important any time you do something like disbudding, tattooing, castration. Especially in the one that is having the oozing. Just run up to the feed store and get a little bottle of Tetanus Antitoxin and give at least 1.5cc shot IM to it. This is a perfect scenario for Tetanus to set up.

14. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

Oh, that's great! :really I'm glad I have you guys for advice.
    I'm never disbudding again. Seriously! I'm leaving all the horns on everything else out there. Why does having goats have to be so hard all the dang time??? :bang
    Andi

15. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Oh, come on now.. it's not that hard all the time ! :crazy As for disbudding, practice makes perfect. Don't let this one instance get you down! :nooo
    The one goat I left horns on, a young wether, when he got older (and not quite a year) started using them on the does that wouldn't let him near the feeder. I could just see a torn udder, and that vision made it easy for me to load him up and haul him to the packers. I will gladly burn little heads! :rofl

16. Cotton Eyed Does

That's so true. The benefits of those clean heads outweigh the disbudding event itself. One of my dairy does one time ran through an open gate that our son left open across the dairy barn and out into the boer goat pen where she promptly was jugged in the back of the udder by the queen Boer. Ripped a triangle tear about the size of a 50 cent piece out of the back of her udder in about half a second. I hate horns. When I get ready to disbud some kids I pull up my tetanus antitoxin in a syringe however many kids I am going to do I have a separate syringe for each kid. Stick them down in a baggie with an ice pack. As I bring the kids in to be disbudded I shave their little heads, pop them with the tetanus antitoxin shot and then disbud. It's easy... no biggie. And it isn't too late to give this little one a shot, but I would do it today. Hang in there. You're a great goat mama.

17. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

"I'm leaving all the horns on everything else out there"

Disbudding gets easier and better each time.

The pain and trauma is far shorter lived for a goat (AND for you) than getting caught in a fence and strangling or having your head ripped off by a dog as happened to a valuable buck of ours when he got caught by his scurs in the cattlepanel :(

18. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep leaving horns on is just a disaster waiting to happen I have one with horns a buck and on accident he has hit me near my eyes twice. NOT a good thing.

19. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

Well, then maybe I'll just band them all! I have to do that to the ones I bought that have horns anyway. That looks much easier and less painful for me and the goat!! :biggrin
    Andi

20. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

Banding is a lot more drawn out for the goat-disbudding seems horrible but it is over quickly. One second they act like your killing them, then their running around playing!

Just as an aside, I don't do anti-toxin when I disbud. My mentor who taught me years ago didn't and I've never had a problem of any kind. You probably don't need to worry about the other kids. Of course if something weird like oozing started I'd probably run get some-I've only done about 30 kids so I'm probably technically still an amateur!