Disbudding at over a month?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Liberty Alpines, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

Hello All,

I disbudded my babies this year 3-4 days after they were born, I'm planning on keeping one of the bucklings, and it's looking like one of his horns may be growing. I've heard/read before that if you can catch it early, you can just "re-disbud". Have any of you done this? Or would I be better to wait and band it? How do you re-disbud? The same way as when you first do it? Thanks! Kristin :D

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

same as before make sure your tetnus is up to date.

3. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

:yeahthat I had to do one a few weeks back on a purchased buckling. Not fun, but better than dealing with a nasty scur.

Kim

4. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

It's so much easier to re-burn than to deal with scurs. I generally have to re-burn bucklings I get from a certain vet...gonna' teach him how to burn that V and get slick heads! :lol

If it's off to the side-scur- you don't need to burn the whole head again. Just that side a little further out from the scur.
    Kaye

5. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

I have to do this as well, do I burn the base of the horn only or for a little bit around it as well?

6. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

If it's on one side of the original burn then just the side. If there are little scurs in several spots then re-burn the full circle. It's like a cuticule. You need to kill the blood supply and get the "root"-base...so burn out of the circle too. :blush Not real technical...but I hope you understand?
    Kaye

7. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Kaye , do you have a picture of a buckling were you burned the V .

Thanks < Patty

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Yes, just did two bucklings today...will take a picture in the morning and try to post it.
    Kaye

9. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:blush Dang I forgot to take the pictures...but brain finally kicked in. :nooo

The first picture is of the buckling head. The silver is aluma-spray (it's June and flies). The 2nd is of the doe without the V. If you wait long enough to disbud, you can see the bud ridge that runs down the head. This is where most scurs form.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Kaye

10. Belle

Belle New Member

:blush
    I hate to ask but I am somewhat confused now. The "V" you are talking about, is it just one burn per bud with the point of the V facing toward the forehead or is there more to it?

11. coso

coso Guest

I'm not Kaye :biggrin but I watched Kaye do this one time to a little buck, and like she said if you will shave that head down real close you can actually see the V she is talking about and burn it out. The point of the V does face down towards the middle of the forehead. Those little Swiss breeds are the worst. I think I could disbud Nubians with a bottle cap and a cigarette lighter and not get scurs. But those little Swiss bucks are boogers. Kaye does the best job I have ever seen. There is only one per bud.

12. Belle

Belle New Member

That is more what I thought at first but then, somehow, I completely confused myself??:shrug I guess its just one of those days.
    Thank you very much for clearing that up for me! :biggrin

13. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:blush These kids were small, being triplets from a yearling FF and the ridge was hard to find. I used the edge of the X30 on these. If they were huge singles with large buds then I would use the side of the iron and burn a lot wider V. This is why I shave the heads before I burn a buck...I also have ENOUGH smoke and (gag) burning flesh smell with the shaved head, so I just shave both sexes.
    Kaye

P.S. SORRY SONDRA...for the large pictures but photobucket wouldn't cooperate today!

14. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:rofl Some of us need big pictures.

I'll be glad when I learn how to do these ND bucks correctly the first time. I think that I've had to reburn 3 this year already......but the doelings look fine.
    I'm not sure what to do with these bucklings. It seems that I either have a scur to the back (towards the ear), or have one in the very front (towards the nose) . Hardly ever have scurs to show up front and back on the same buck, but seems to have at least one or the other.
    I've heard of folks that do a "figure 8" on the burn, and they say it works good......I just ain't never got how the "8" should look like when I'm done burning.

Whim

15. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I tried the figure 8 years ago and still got scurs. Canned that idea.
    If you're getting them toward the ear...your burning too far inward and missing a tip to the outside. Overlap your burn just a bit on one of your rotations. Um...I rotate the iron and actually rock it to make sure I get a wide enough burn around the bud. In other words...I don't put the iron on and hold it in one spot, I rotate and rock it.
    If you're getting them in the front then your not getting the V. Any breed (bucks) that has the triangle shaped horns has the "ridge" running toward the center of the head.

LOL....I even heard if you burn further back and get the scent gland your buck won't stink...Pppffttt! That's a load, because I tried that one, too. Still had a stinking rutty buck, not one bit of difference! other than a buck with the WHOLE top of his head scarred from that burn.
    Kaye

16. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Never could figure out how his head could affect his pee all over himself unless I got clear thru to the vien.
    Pictures done on photo bucket don't affect us here as far as size.

17. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

""""If you're getting them in the front then your not getting the V. Any breed (bucks) that has the triangle shaped horns has the "ridge" running toward the center of the head. K.""""

I try to do the same with the rotation thingy. ....trying to make sure that I have an even looking burn ring all the way around.
    I'm really considering getting an X50 before next year, and getting that teardrop looking tip to put on it.......with that said, I was thinking that the pointed end of the teardrop would turn towards the ear.....but to look at your burn Kaye, it would turn the opposit way, and would/should almost make that V in your pics here. :???
    That "buck tip" or teardrop also looks to have a broader burning surface than my X30 tip......I think that would help some too.
    Whatcha think ?

Whim

18. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I got the X-50 and the buck tip also and it is so much bigger than the nigi tip...I got my tip from Hoeggers as jeffers didnt have it...I am going to use mine this weekend to see if it makes a difference.
    Kathy

19. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

I disbudded for the first time and it really bothered me. I felt like a child abuser! Well I did a crappy job of it and need to do it again. My "repeat" kids are 2 months old, so I will have a challenge. I really was not looking forward to disbudding ever again, but I have two mixed breed FF's that have horns and getting them to and from the milkstand is a real job! Intellectually I know that disbudding is the way to go, I just need to be stronger in the emotional department :rofl I just really hate causing them pain.

Anne