Disbudded the house goat

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Cotton Eyed Does, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Poor little thing. She just cried all afternoon. I was going to let her keep her horns because I think being bottle/human raised she may not be as aggressive as some of the other boer girls will be, but I decided if she had to go in with the dairy babies that I didn't want her using those horns on them, so I did it. I gave her some banamine, but she still cried and ground her teeth. Today she was LOTS better. I hope I did a good job of disbudding. I have not waited this long to disbud one and her little buds were getting long enough the ends was just about to pop through the skin. I would say 1/2 inch maybe. I burned and used a knife to pop off the horn bud and burned sideways and then around again. It took all the fortitude I could muster to do it to this little thing. Just nerve wracking. By the way her leg is broken. I've had it in a toilette paper cast ( rolled the toilette paper cardboard in on itself some to make it tighter to her leg and vet wrapped it up. I've changed it out twice and it is healing, but has a slight inward turn to it. She still hops and only uses it if absolutely necessary. How long do you think I should keep it taped up? 6 weeks?

2. Truly

Truly New Member

You did the right thing disbudding her. She sure has you wrapped around her finger.

Sorry I can't help with the break tho.

3. Cotton Eyed Does

HA :lol Yes she does. She has gone from that helpless little 5.5 pound tube fed squirt to a 15 pound diaper wearing, eating like a pig, mischevious toddler running around my house. I pray for warm days that I can put her out in the baby pen. She hates it out there though. She cried so much yesterday she made herself hoarse. :/

4. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

When we had one with a broken leg I used popsickle sticks and the foam pipe insulation then vet wrap. I think it may give better support than a TP roll. Just a thought . We kept it on for 6 weeks.

Patty

5. Cotton Eyed Does

Patty did she still limp after it healed? That is my concern. I hope it doesn't inhibit her leg to grow properly or make her gimpy. I've never had one with a broken leg before.

6. goatkid

goatkid New Member

A couple of my friends have had kidswho broke their legs. They kept the cast on for 6 weeks. They limped for a while, but the legs seemed to grow properly. I've seen these does as adults and haven't noticed that they are gimpy. I suppose that would depend on where the break occurred and how well it healed.
    You did the right thing disbudding her, since your other goats don't have horns. What I've learned is that the spoiled house goats can tend to be the more aggressive ones with the other girls. I'd hate to see my Isis with horns. She sometimes gets so jealous when I'm leading another doe that she'll come up and butt her. She's the undisputed boss in the herd.

7. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

I agree that you did the right thing disbudding her too. Pets become the worst with horns sometimes. Franny nearly put my eye out today with her long scurs. And ask Katie how mean Franny was when they were over here and went in the pen, I never saw any goat change personality like that. Only Franny has those big scurs and only Franny was trying to horn Katie.

8. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

My 1st Nigerian baby broke her leg at 2 weeks old. I spent $900 on the animal emergency clinic to splint it (next time if it ever happens again, I'll do it myself, but she was my 1st baby). She's now 3 & I don't even remember which leg it was, no limp at all.

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep think she needs more support than the tp roll and 6wks is the norm I think.

10. Carolyn

Carolyn New Member

I had a little buck that had a broken leg, I let someone use my chicken coop for a while and one they came out while I was't home. They let their kids play in the babies pen. One of the babies got stepped on. I was so upset, but my brother was an EMT and set it. The leg dangled, and it took about a month, but you couldn't tell he broke it. He used toliet paper roll and popcicle sticks with vet wrap. Carolyn

11. Katarina

Katarina New Member

I am not even sure that I would mess with the tp roll or popsicle sticks, I suspect that a healthy dose of vet wrap applied and squeezed to form shape around the leg will do just as well. To me when we have splinted the sticks, etc kept the vetwrap from adhering well and providing the needed support.

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I use the insulation for a sturdy leg wrap on those week legs but have never had a broken one.

13. Cotton Eyed Does

What I did was straighten the leg out and put some vet wrap around it. They I took a t.p. roll and slid it over the broken area, letting it stick down past her hoof a little bit, and squeezed it sort of tight around the leg and folded the edge of the t.p. holder over on itself, and creased it where it would lay flat, which helped with rigidity and made it stronger. Then I put on vet wrap all the way up the leg around the hock where it would stay on. I let it stick down past her foot a little bit so when she did put it down on the ground, she wasn't putting any weight on the foot itself. Yesterday when I had her out in the yard with us she took off running like a sage hen and was using her leg, so I guess it is feeling better. :D

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

AH that is good

15. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I'm glad her leg is getting better.

16. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

She limped for a week or 2 after we took it off. The popsickle sticks we doubled and used to keep the bones from moving out of place. The foam insulation also helped that . We went several inches above and below the break to keep it from moving.

Patty