Disbudded baby not feeling well

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ravens Haven, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Hi all,

My new junior herdsire was born 3/20/08 and brought to me from Florida on Friday, he really needed disbudded badly so I did so yesterday and today he is not feeling well, he doesn't want his bottle, he doesn't want to play, he just so pitiful. 4/10ths of cc of banamine for the funky swelling above his eyes that I have seemed to have gotten this year with disbudding. I have him in the house now, to keep him warm and so I can love on him alot. Any suggestions would be helpful,
    Thanks
    Autumn

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well I am not much help but would make sure he is kept hydrated.

3. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

What can I do to get him to eat? He eat only 10 oz last night and won't suck on a bottle at all today I have tried 3-4 times already and it is not happening. He looked to be having bowel issues, straining and what not so I gave him a suppository to help with that, He will run through the house and jump but won't eat.

Help,
    Autumn

4. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I have no idea how long it takes tetanus to start in on one after disbudding, or what would be the very first signs of tetanus.........I'm wondering if it wouldn't do to pop him with T. antitoxin.....just in case he didn't get one earlier.

I really don't know Autumn, but hope he gets OK. I bet you had to put a little extra on him to get the buds good at that age....maybe it's just a little shell shock, but you would think he would be over that by now.

Best wishes , Whim

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

if you can't get him to eat at all then lactated ringers are in order. make sure he is pooping etc. give him a B Vit shot.

6. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

I think I may have od him on banamine after finding my notes on dosages. I think he might just be drugged a little too well.

Thanks
    autumn

7. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Ok, I gave him 1/2 cc Fortified B vitamin, pea sized probios, and 20cc Lactated Ringers. How often and how much should I be giving him?
    Temp is 102 and he just wants to sleep every now and then he will walk through the house then jog and jump but mostly sleeps.

Thanks
    Autumn

8. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

If he just came in from Florida, watch for shipping fever.. and stress also.. He is stressed, new move and disbudding...
    Barbara

9. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Did you give him the Tetanus Antitoxin? If not I would do that like Whim suggested. I give mine a little over 1 cc at the time of disbudding. I would keep up with the probios about a half inch strip in his mouth a couple times a day. Are you using the same nipple they used? That's not too much banamine for a large breed baby. I've given between 1/4 cc and 1/2 cc of banamine to kids, depending on how large they are and how much effort I had to put into disbudding. Actually you might want to give him another 1/4 cc of it this morning. If he is hurting that might make him not want to nurse. And the fluids under the skin too to keep him hydrated if he isn't drinking well today. Poor little turkey.

10. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

The dose for Banamine is 1cc per 100#.

Sara

11. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

HE is feeling much better today, he actually just drank from the bottle without force so that I am glad to see. I talked with my vet last night and she said with that much banamine in such a young baby, it can cause stomach ulcers to develop and he wouldn't want to eat b/c it hurts to do so. So she told me to give him gatorade to keep him hydrated and i did and with the sugars in it, it gave him some energy to get up. Thanks Sara, I wrote that down again.

Thanks for all the support,
    Autumn

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

he needs milk not gator aid tho.

13. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

I only gave him a couple of ounces last night of gatorade, when he wouldn't drink milk, he is now back on milk and doing fine.

Thanks
    autumn

14. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

FYI.. I write the dosages and SQ or IM on the bottles in sharpie.. that way if I don't have to also go searching for my glassed and don't second guess myself.

15. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Try not to freak with kids coming in from long trips. I also would have put off disbudding a little while as not to add to his stress level, making sure he was eating well from the trip first, then disbud, so I can blame the disbudding pain (and cure it with banamine) before anything else.

You don't know from the time a kid flies in to get to you, what someone has fed him, or given them. And they have zip ties just like the ones we have :) So an unopened zip tie on the cage door means nothing!

Warm milk...a supository if he is straining, a tiny amount of banamine, probiotics are all fine. But it takes 21 days for the first sign of tetanus to start from the disbudding...sure give it if it's your management but don't give it because you think these are signs of tetanus.

All this putting stuff into the kid orally and shots isn't helping him get over the stress and building curd in his belly to assimilate the milk well.

Subq lactated ringers if they go passed 24 hours refusing a bottle, and perhaps re bo-se them...but they won't starve themselves. A fever and yes do a fecal. Vicki

16. LMonty

LMonty New Member

curiosity question- why not use dex for swelling or pain after disbudding? (I do, thats what I learned way back when, also helps if theres any brain edema from a difficult one. Thats why I'm wondering, LOL. may very well be an out of date idea, so Im doing a reality check to ask, not making a suggestion)

17. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You can give a small amount of banamine one time. It's dangerous to give just dex without backing down days 4, 5 and 6 by half weaning them off the steroid. Dex was always a protocoal drug. I was taught to use banamine for nearly everything, pain, inflammation, calming the gut etc.. , in my opinion the most underused drug around.