Disbudded a baby today

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Cotton Eyed Does, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Well I disbudded my first baby of the year today. A boer baby doe. What a whiney, weiner. :lol Geez. I had to give her a touch of banamine. I think the Nubian babies and Boer babies are much more intolerant of disbudding than the Alpines babies are. I've never had to give any banamine to an Alpine baby except once.

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yep! I use banamine quite regularly on my brats!

Can't believe you are doing the baby thing in this nasty weather, at least it isn't drizzeling today! Stay warm though. vicki

3. I've disbudded lots of nubians...but never any other breed...until YESTERDAY... We had our first ever non-nubians babies on sunday. Nubian mom, LaMancha sire... I must say. I'm use to holding ears down under their head with one hand, while I burn with the other (I use a box).. did the buckling yesterday (will do his sister today) It was so HARD. His silly little elf ears kept TRYING to get under the burner. It took me twice as long to do him, simply trying to figure out how to do him and save his ears! It's a learning curve,that's for sure!
    Vincent (who my daughter is wethering and keeping as a *trick* goat.. she's clicker training him LOL)
    [​IMG]
    Vivian (who I think is a cutie.. and I'm keeping just because she's NOT a nubian LOL)
    [​IMG]
    susie

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

My Nubians, Boers and Lamanchas just have to suck it up and be tough. I never give Banamine for disbudding.
    I've disbudded 28 kids so far.....tattooed 5 of those. I hate that tattooing more than the disbudding. :?

5. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

SHOOT.... I forgot to tattoo her. Good Gosh. :/ :help I must be losing my mind.

6. Melissa

Melissa New Member

ahhh, it's okay Christine, we'll just chock it up to the cold and depressing wheather you guys are getting down their. the thermomater must be reading at least 40* right? <VBG>

-Melissa

7. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

The ones without ears look like angels :D

8. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Well it's cold and POURING rain here... has been for the past few days. I hope we don't float away in the streams of rain water, LOL. And today it's been snow and slush..... and the temps are NO higher than 40*, most the time less than 35*, in the day. I don't like cold weather :(

Suriyah