Dis budding using the cut & pop method

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Patty13637, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I plan on trying this today . Has anyone taken pictures ? :help2

Tips ? How old are they when you guys are doing them ?

Thanks , Patty

2. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Yep that was it.

Patty

3. LMonty

LMonty New Member

Patty, I hope you'll come back and tell us how it went for you. I despise disbudding! this would be a great alternative to learn.

4. mpete

mpete New Member

Patty, did you do it? I am interested in how it worked.

5. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I chickened out. Maybe next time.

patty

6. mpete

mpete New Member

Do you know what the time window for doing this would be? Right after birth? A day?

7. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I am not sure maybe someone else will know.

Patty

8. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

From the thread it appears that this is right after birth. I would imagine as soon as you get the goo off. My thinking is there will be less wiggling when they are fresh out still trying to figure out up from down! I do plan to try this - and I've never broken in my x50! at least I will use it to cauterize... I have two does due this week so I will let you know how it goes!

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I tried it on a dead kid born and no way am I going to do it on a live one. will use the iron

10. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

oooh, this does not sound good Sondra. why not???

11. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Yea, why not?? don't leave us hanging! :)

12. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Aren't head wounds really bloody? I wouldn't want to do it just for that fact. I think I'll stick with the iron. :blush

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

not bloody but crap by the time I screwed around getting it cut then couldn't find anything to pop off. and I had a very sharp knife. It just isn't as easy as it sounds that is for sure. So that is why am not going to cut on a live kid.

14. J-Basqo

J-Basqo New Member

I have 2 does that will be kidding in May. If I am brave I decided I might try to do this on a buck kid or two (or a DOA if I have one) if I end up with a couple (you know they never come when you want 'em!). But I also work at a vets office and see and do this kinda thing all the time, so maybe thats why it does'nt scare me as much. But I will let you know how it goes. I had wondered if maybe after it was done (well after I get done cutting horn bud or not) spray the fural then maybe a piece of tape overtop would help with excess bleeding (if any) and allow the skin to scab together nicely. Also dont forget you can dab off the incision during your procedure so you can see what you are doing (I would recommend using cotton or a clean rag, not a paper towel, supposedly they can carry a bacteria that can cause sever/deadly infections when introduced to the bloodstream).
    Maybe I will take photos too! I like taking pictures of that sorta thing! :)
    Patina

15. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Gulp. That might help.

16. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I would think that superglue would work better keeping it closed, it sure would be drier and not so perpetually sticky as to attract dirt and other oddities.. ?

17. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

If you cauterize with the iron doesn't that stop the bleeding?

18. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Patty ......You know that I had all intentions of doing/trying this procedure this time. I had everything ready to try it, but ran into this problem. Within the time frame that is allowed on doing this, I had a very hard time feeling the bud enough to know where to start my cut(s), and then end it. I thought that maybe on the bucks, that it would be a little better......but it was about the same. These ND heads are really small to start with. Maybe on the large breeds (with much bigger heads) it would be a lot easier to see and feel.
    I chickened out because of this. I was really more concerned about the kid making a slight jerk or twist of some kind, and cutting half his head off......or possibly getting into those ear ligaments, and ruining his ear set.
    My estimation would be that there is a lot less room for error in trying this on these small breeds. ......so, it looks like I'll be sticking with the burn method at about 5 to 6 days old.

Whim