different oils, different properties, and saponification

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by homeacremom, Jan 26, 2008.

1. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

I suppose I need the chance to soap instead of just thinking about it... :blush2

I've been thinking about Vicki's comment that after saponification they can't tell which oils were used in the recipe. How is it then that different recipes yield totally different soap - harder, creamier lather, more bubbles, etc.

2. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Different oils DO produce different qualities in soap. and the combination of say Lard with coconut, would be different than Lard by itself. there are many oils that have similar qualities that it would be hard to tell if say you use Rice bran or sunflower oil instead of olive as a portion of your recipe.

I'm not sure exactly what the context was when Vicki said this. One could be that after saponification there is no oils or milk or lye, just soap. Which of course is true, but bars will still be different depending on what you put it them. Or the other may be what I wrote above about subbing out one oil for another. Either way it's fact.

And yes, just dive in girl! That's the best way to learn. Read a bunch - which maybe you have and are dragging your feet? And then just do it. all will become clearer when you do! And if it doesn't work out? Well when life throws us yucky soap - make laundry soap! Then chalk it to learning and I bet the next batch will be better! Just start out with inexpensive oils so you don't cry if it doesn't turn out!

3. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

I went back and looked up the comment - it was in the context of superfatting. The extra oil is not identifiable. So the oils do different things AS they saponify...
    Anyway it doesn't matter. Maybe someday I'll be a chemist?! :rofl

I have made a few batches of soap and just need a chance between moving and babies and life to keep experimenting until I get recipes that I can reproduce consistently - oh yeah, need to develop a little bit of a sales pitch! I do believe in real soap just not a good sales person :help2

4. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Oh yes, I believe that was because the question was can you only superfat a certain oil in a recipe. You can't choose in CP which oil superfats is what she was saying. Only if you add it to HP at the end of the cook can you be sure it is superfatted with just shea butter.

Bethany