Difference in milker styles

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by 2Sticks, Apr 22, 2008.

1. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

Would someone please take the time to explain to me the pros and cons of the Surge style milking machine w/pump or the vacuumn type that hoeggers or Capralite sell? I guess I don't understand why the surge style looks small in the pictures, like a tea kettle with hoses coming from it and the vacuumn type like hoggers has looks quite large. Please educate me :crazy Which one would work best for 4 does?
    Thanks, I just don't have a clue.....
    Tamera

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

The machine part is just a vacume and motor, no matter what you buy. It simply is a motor that runs off electricty that runs a vacume pump...think vacume cleaner. The can you milk into is personal preference, the surge bucket is a huge tea kettle, it's bulky and hard to empty, especially if you have breasts :) The Delaval style can looks like a pear comes in 3 and 5 gallon and I prefer them. Now a pulsator that fits on the lid of the can does nothing more than break the vacume. If you put a vacume cleaner hose on your doe it would milk her, but it would be steady pressure and hard on their teats. The pulsator breaks the vacume so it goes suck suck suck instead of just suckkkkk.

I wouldn't buy from Hoegers, hate the belly pail idea. Early about 2 or 3 weeks ago someone ask this same questions and this Thomas machine came up on their link. Motor/vacumpump/in one. They then sold the surge can, pulsator and with it set up to milk two goats...$700. You could either buy it straight up or perhaps buy the motor only from them. Buy a DeLaval style can on ebay and then get your lid, interpulse pulsator, lines, inline shutoffs, claws, clear inflations set up from Mike at Partsdepartmentonline.com and put the three things together yourself. This way you would not have any upgrading needed. Vicki

3. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

Thank you for the info Vicki. I'm going to search for the post your talking about and I will check out The Parts Dept. I thought that surge milker looked hard to deal with. At least I have some idea what I looking for/at now!

Tamera