difference between medical grade and soap grade EO's?

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by nappint, Jul 15, 2008.

1. nappint

nappint New Member

So this might be a dumb question but what is the difference between the EO's people use for medical/holistic reasons and the EO's that are used in skin care? other than the price that is...

My BIL is a chiropractor and we were talking about soaps with EO fragrance - he pays A LOT of money for the EO's that his patients use (smell, take internally, etc) and I didn't know enough about the EO's on soap making supply sites to tell him what the difference was. :blush

Thank you!

2. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

None that I know of, money difference maybe...
    Some companies claim theirs are purer, meaning uncut with other oils and that could be the case.. Some are cold pressed oils, meaning they used no heat to extract the oils, therefore not destroying any properties the plant/flower may have in it.. I guess you could research this on the internet..
    Lillians eo's are very pure and strong.. and she states that she buys from reputable people that do not cut the oils.. I have purchased some that were cut and I was very unhappy with them.. Some oils are very stong and caution needs to be used when using them.. Wintergreen can be toxic, for example.. Just becasue they are eos does not mean that used in excess they are any better than fragrance oils..
    Barbara