Did I get the right tubes for CAE testing?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ravenwood, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Ravenwood

Ravenwood New Member

Hello everyone,

I hope to test my 33 goatsters for CAE this weekend. YIKES, should be a bit of an undertaking. 7 Nubians plus my meat herd of 26. If nothing else I should be a pro if I can actually succeed in getting blood from all (or, perhaps any!) of them :) Bear in mind my meat does are not very tame and are very chubby and hairy at the moment. Yes, this should be FUN ;)

I am curious if I got the right tubes. I bought directly from our vet. They are smaller than I thought...only 4 ml. They are red topped and say "BD Vactainer" and "Serum" underneath that. If I put 3 cc blood in each will I be fine?

Thanks!

2. Theresa

Theresa New Member

Yes, the red stopper tops are the ones that you want and I think 3 cc is plenty. Once I sent less because that was all I had from this one goat. I really thought they would send me a letter telling me that I needed to redraw it. But I got the results so there must have been enough.
    Good luck with all your blood draws this weekend. You will be an old pro after this. ;)

3. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Red Top tube is what you need. 1 cc of blood will be plenty for the test - I've sent in less than a cc from an unruly animal, and still was able to get the test done!

4. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Yes, serum tubes are what you need. No additives. Some had just over 2cc.

Arrrggghhh...I pulled blood on 13 goats...BY MYSELF, :mad because I got ticked at DH for putting it off. I usually pull in Jan. and he's been draggin' his feet about it. I only shaved one neck and that was on a VERY FAT Sable that had a neck like a donkey! She got her collar clipped to the fence-high and her standing on tippy toes! Tee,hee....it exposed that jugular like a water hose. ;)
    Kaye

5. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

To me the Boers are harder to draw blood on than the dairy goats. I guess because of their more muscled neck.