diagnosis

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Anita Martin, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Today I trimmed a donkey and three goats for a farrier in the area who just had surgery. One of the lady's goats, a boer cross, had the worst feet I have ever seen on a goat. Absolutely no attachment of the hoof wall at all from the cornet band down. He is extremely fat and getting tons of sweet feed, so I made a few dieatary suggetions. While I was there she told me about four goats she had gotten from the same breeder a couple of years ago. Two of them developed a condition where they were frothing at the mouth, lying down with their necks back and made a circle in the dirt. They threw their heads back and looked crazy and rolled their heads around. They died. Then she got two more goats from the same breeder which developed the same symptoms, but when she went to the vet to get some meds, four dogs attacked and killed the goats. Now she has two more from the same herd, plus a stray. The herd that these goats came from was owned by one person, who lost many goats due to this illness. I am wondering if anyone knows, by the limited description I have supplied, what this condition might be? According to my GPS, these goats live 17 miles from my farm. It concerns me that many goats got this disease and died because they are not that far from me. They are boer and boer cross goats.
    Thanks,
    Anita

2. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Maybe goat polio or possibly tetanus?

3. Anita Martin

I will look those conditions up. Whatever it was, it was contagious or had some common denominator as many goats from the same herd got it, and many died.
    Thanks,
    Anita

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

listerosis and probably from mold or change of feed from one farm to another. Just a guess

5. Anita Martin

Actually, I think it was listerosis, as she mentioned something like that, only she was mispronouncing it. This lady bought a total of 6 goats from this breeder, two at a time, and four of the six came down with the condition, and she said the breeder had lost many goats from it. I don't have any plans on buying any boers any time soon, but just wanted to figure out what kind of disease it might have been.
    thanks
    Anita

6. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Anita,
    Not to be rude or anything, but for petes sake, why does she keep buying goats from that breeder, knowing that they die... Hit me in the head with a rock will ya..
    Barbara

7. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

And here I'm thinking.. that if she bought the goats, and assuming they were alive and healthy then, could it be her hay? could it be something that shes feeding them that's doing it?? I was just going from your post that said
    maybe it's what shes feeding them...
    Stacy

8. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

See, for me, this seems to be the key. If the breeder is losing goats that are not leaving her farm (or goats that are going to a variety of different places) and the symptoms are all the same, it doesn't make sense that it's something that this one lady is doing.

OTOH, it does seem completely insane to keep going back for more of the same problem and continuing to buy goats from this breeder!

9. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

:yeahthat Either way, it sounds like both of them should be reviewing their management.

10. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

11. Anita Martin

I just met the lady yesterday, and her goats are only pets. I have no idea why she bought from the same person again, or maybe after she lost the goats, the breeder just gave her more. I'm not sure. Anyway, I had never heard of anyone losing that many goats, or a whole herd coming down with something like that. I did do some research on listerosis and that sounded like what she described to me. I don't know who the breeder is, the owner told me the name but it didn't sound familiar, and she does boers so I probably wouldn't have any reason to contact her. This all happened a couple of years ago and the last two goats she got from this breeder have been okay except for the wether having the most god-awful feet I've ever seen. They really didn't even look like feet. They were completely sideways and he was sore. He looked like he had foundered, but after I trimmed him he was running around (blubbering around was more like it), rearing up and playing and his owner was happy to see him getting around better. I wonder if early feeding problems that caused the other goats to have listerosis could have messed his feet up so bad for so long?
    Just something I hadn't seen before.
    Anita