DH just called - my kid(s) i'm been waiting for forever is on it's way ....

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by MiddleRiver, Feb 22, 2008.

1. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

And i'm stuck at work for another 2.5 hours :help

I have been so waiting for this kid(s) - they are my first kids out of my buck that passed away in Dec. Please keep your fingers crossed for a doeling !

Also please keep your fingers crossed that DH does well - this is his first time being alone with kids coming - but i'm sure he will do well - he knows what needs to be done - he has delivered a foal, and has been subjected to listening to me talk about it a lot too :+) As well as witnessing kids being born.

But not being there is driving me CRAZY !!! so much for getting anything done at work for the rest of the day ! lol !

Wish Gretta and my DH luck please - i will post next time i hear from him :+) I'm so excited !

2. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

:woohoo keep chanting (under your breath, your co-workers might think you're crazy) "we want does" "we want does" "we want does"

:rofl Hope it works, and hoping you get two lovely does!!! Congrats,

Sheryl

3. coso

coso Guest

I know the feeling. My wife stays at home and is a city girl (married to a country boy). The first year we kidded out does. I stayed on the phone with her at work telling her how it would happen and what to expect and hoping everything was all right. Drove me crazy not being able to be there and see myself. She is pretty good at it now. Hope everything goes well for you.

4. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Thanks everybody !!! Funny thing is, i work in a large office in a cubical surrounded by people, and they already know i've got babies on the way - when i first got the call i stood up and just annouced it to everyone - then felt a bit like a fool lol ! But they kinda understand :+)

Ok, just heard from him, a doeling and a buckling !!! The doeling he said is a few different colors, but the way he explained is she sounds like a cou clare or cou blanc ? and the boy is a sundagu ?

They are healthy and frisky he says too - YAYYYYYYYYY !!!!!!

Now i just want to go home :+)

5. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

CONGRATS!!!! on those long awaited babies...

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Congratulations!!!

7. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

All right! At least you got one doeling. Woo hoo. :crazy congratulations.

Sheryl

8. Truly

Truly New Member

I am so fortunate not to work outside of the home.

I would just be sick if I couldn't be there. Especially for the first ones of the year, but even on #10 when there's already 20 kids in the barn.

We prolly won't hear from you tonite, but be sure to post pics in the AM.

Congratulations. :woohoo

9. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Thanks !!!! I'm just so happy right now ! gosh, my knees are even shaking, and i haven't even seen them yet ! lol - Gosh i can't wait to see them :+)

DH said they haven't nursed yet, and asked what i wanted him to do - i told him to try and make sure mom's teats aren't plugged and if they are to get the pluggs out and the milk flowing, then put the kids in that area and watch to see if they get it. And i also told him to make sure to dip the navels - anything else i need to tell him ?

I'm also waiting to hear back on how mom is doing and how she is treating them - all he said so far was earlier after they were born she was licking them.

Yayyy !!!

10. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

Congrats: Glad everything went ok. So happy you got a doe. :wow

:woohoo

Wendy

11. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Well i just talked to DH - he said he got milk flowing and the plugs out, and the kids are in the area wanting to nurse, but mom won't let them. I'm not sure what to tell him to do - he is starting to get worried, and when he gets worried he gets crabby. He said she is head butting them away when they try to nurse - what to i tell him to do ??? She is a 2yr old FF, so i imagine she is confused - will she get over it ? He said she isn't attacking them, but will push them away when they go by her udder. I'll be home in about 2 hours and then i can milk her if need be and bottle some colostrum into them and go from there, which hopefully once her udder isn't full and painfull she will let them nurse on her own - i may even milk her some then hold her with his help and make her let them nurse - but will about 3 hours after birth be too long for them to get a first feeding ?

And i wonder if she will hurt them or not. Should he leave them with her till i get home, or take them into the house till i get home ? I rather leave them with her so she can work on bonding with them, but i'm not sure what the risk is as i'm not there myself.

Oh, and after 4 i won't be able to update as i don't have internet at home, so it won't be till Monday - and no dig. camera, but i will try to get a friend to come take some pics for me for sure !!!

12. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Truly - soon i will be working from home too - my company offers telecomuting - but i've got to wait for all my stuff to arive and get ready - hopefully i'll be home by April. I am just sick though, i hate being stuck here at a time like this !

13. Truly

Truly New Member

The only thing I might suggest is putting the new mama on the milk stand so she can't butt the babies away. He can hold them up to nurse.

I've had kids have to wait nearly three hours for colostrum because I didn't have any on hand and needed to heat treat what I got from mama. Vicki recommends 20 oz each in the first 12 hours. As long as you can meet that, they should be fine.

That is so kewl that you'll get to work from home. I wish I could find an outside job that I could do at home here in podunk, rural, america.

14. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Truly - good idea, though mom is not trained for the milkstand, that still may be a good option for him - i'm hopeing though by the next time he calls me he says she is letting them nurse :+)

Yeah, i dislike my job in the fact that it is not one of my interests, but it pays the bills and gives us benefits, and heck, i'll be going home to work so i can be home all day :+) They set up a new phone line, internet, a computer and furniture and everything for you :+) So next kidding season i hope to not miss even one birth !

15. Sondra

Sondra New Member

tie her head to the fence and her body up against it also hold on to her and let those kids nurse.

16. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

My plan when i get home is to make her let them nurse - i figure as a first timer she is just not sure of the whole thing, but tuff, she is going to nurse them ! I'll give that a few tries, and hope she figures it out, if not, i will bottle feed them, but i won't give into that easy, not unless i know she will not accept them - which i don't think is the case, i think she is just a freaked out FF.

I just wish i was home now ! I'm so excited to see these kids - and to see what Gretta's udder looks like ! I'm so happy i got a doeling too !

I also have my phone numbers from all you nice people that gave them to me, so just in case something goes amiss over the weekend i may be calling :+)

Thanks everybody !!!

17. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Bet she is just very full and them grabbing hold is painful milk her out some will probably help also putting her in a small stall where she can't really get away from the little ones helps too. You'll do fine

18. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Sometimes you just have to hold mom for the first few days until they get used to the idea. I don't think she will hurt the kids, probably just doesn't want them nursing. I had a 2 yr old FF last year do the same thing...she never did voluntarily let them nurse. We had to hold the doe a couple times a day and the kids would nurse then. Most goats will just get used to it after a few days though.

19. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Ok, well she lets the doeling nurse. The buckling however she bite his ear, and grabed him up and dropped him, so DH took him into the house. Does this mean she will never take him, or should i try it again throughout the next 24 hours ? I will milk her and bottle him when i get home too - i only had frozen goat milk that was from my Saanen about 2 days after she freshend, so DH fed him 2 oz of that till i get home. Well, wish me luck, i'm leaving work in a couple min. Thanks !

20. pettigrewfarms

pettigrewfarms New Member

:handclap hope all goes well.