Dex dosage for swollen joint injuries

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by paulaswrld, Nov 26, 2008.

1. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Hi, my older buck Tamatrix is not putting any weight on his front right leg, it is swollen slightly below the knee...no temp and it does not feel hot. But, he is not comfortable at all....I have Banamine, dex (4mg)....well, pretty much everything. Tell me what can help my boy....other than getting down and rubbing him again :rofl :rofl :rofl see if I ever say that again :blush2

Paula

2. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

I believe it is 1cc per 20 pounds. Not abolutely sure.
    Is the swelled area hot? Could he have gotten something stuck in it and it is infected? Or just injured it somehow?
    You might need an antibiotic if it is somehow infected.
    He just may have twisted it or gotten it hung in something. If that is the case I have use a horse liniment on the area, something like Absorbine horse liniment gel.
    If you use Dex, don't use it too long as it will depress his immune system.
    Les

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I would choose banamine. I would also test him while the knee is swollen for CAE. There is not place on the cannon bone to swell, so everything swells into the knee, so really check him out alot further down the leg than you would think, even an abscess on the coronary band can swell the knee. Shaving the whole area and then using peroxide can also show you puncture wounds etc...Vicki

4. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Thanks Les and Vicki, the herd was CAE negative last March. I am due again this March..would you pull him seperate? He has been tested yearly since arriving here 3 years ago.

P

5. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I'd also opt for the banamine over dex for something like this.
    Kaye

6. NubianSoaps.com

If you can't find an injury, than yes I would pull blood now, perhaps CAE and mycoplasma. Unless you raised him yourself, and know you didn't make any mistakes, being new you haven't had your does long enough to only be milking your own babies....than a symptom like this..a hot swollen joint is your first clue, if negative during this symptom than yes he is likely negative. Back in the day we would pull fluid from the knee, pink and you knew it was an injury, white blood cells and you knew it was in infection and sending in the fluid you knew even with AGID it was CAE. Now with the tests better if he is now clinical he would show up...use biotracking so you could have known before what his titer is and if it has moved since the last pull. Negative is really a meaningless notion if he is one point away from borderline. I fight this fight alone with WSU and their 'gold standard test' but not getting all the answers automatically makes biotracking a much better option. Vicki

7. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Thanks, I used PAVL last time I think. Before that WSU and think Pam Haney used WSU also...will have to check. I don't think PAVL did titers but I will check. Don't see anything on the leg itself, he has a slit on his hoof where he has been standing on the fence (talking to the girls)...That is all I could see. I sprayed it really well with lemon lysol and gave him the banamine, also used linament on his leg. Most of the swelling seems to be closer to the top of his hoof now.

Now that I can pull my own blood, I'll just do the boys now and the girls in March.

Thanks,

Paula

8. NubianSoaps.com

I sprayed it really well with lemon lysol.....why would you choose to use something like this? Vicki

9. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

That is just what I usually spray on the feet when I trim the hooves so I fiqured (I'm assuming I fiqured wrong) that it might help kill off any germs in there until I could come up with a solution...the bottom of the hoof did not seem tender at all. Is there anything you would suggest I do next. He is still lame today but not nearly as bad as yesterday.

Thanks,

Paula

10. NubianSoaps.com

I just never would have thought to use something like that :)

Abscess is usually around the coronary band, not the sole. If you press around the coronary band....where the hoof meets the meat of the leg, right where his hair goes over onto his hoof, if you press on it all the way around you can either feel the abscess or he will tell you that is exactly where it is hurting by jerking his leg. He is not running fever? Vicki

11. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

He is all better today! Thanks for everyone's advise...I still have no idea what he did.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! ... I know I'll be in lounge or sweat pants for a few more days :lol

12. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I also use lysol for certain hoof problems. We started using it in horses after it was lab tested not to kill healthy tissue, but to kill bad bacteria and fungus. It does work. I also use it on goats if they have splits, in conjunction with frequent trimming, or bad areas in the walls. But I don't use it for anything else. Nothing above the hoof, not even the coronet band. I don't think it would be beneficial for a knee problem.
    Anita