Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three goats whose FAMACHA score is between C(3) and D(4). I gave them safeguard liquid goat dewormer, then some Ivermectin…. No improvement.

the breeder recommended Cydectin to be used orally as needed. While Cydectin (Moxidectin) is really expensive for treating 3 goats, I found Quest Horse Gel (Moxidectin) for much cheaper, which has the same chemical.

I have been getting mixed opinions…It’s not safe, it is safe….?

Found the dosage is 1cc per 100lb. So I’ll give my 6lb, 12lb, and 18lb goats 0.2cc?

Also, I am going to squirt the whole tube of paste into a container and stir it, to make sure the chemical is evenly distributed.

Is Quest Horse Gel (Moxidectin) safe??

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think you might want to check the fecal count for the individual goats and the herd average fecal egg count.

OSU has a good video of fecal egg counts and FAMACHA. They do not recommend relying on FAMACHA alone.

If changing pasture is available that too may offer some relief. Some fields may be loaded with parasites and field may not. Putting a goat on a field less challenging may yield lower egg counts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have three goats whose FAMACHA score is between C(3) and D(4). I gave them safeguard liquid goat dewormer, then some Ivermectin…. No improvement.

the breeder recommended Cydectin to be used orally as needed. While Cydectin (Moxidectin) is really expensive for treating 3 goats, I found Quest Horse Gel (Moxidectin) for much cheaper, which has the same chemical.

I have been getting mixed opinions…It’s not safe, it is safe….?

Found the dosage is 1cc per 100lb. So I’ll give my 6lb, 12lb, and 18lb goats 0.2cc?

Also, I am going to squirt the whole tube of paste into a container and stir it, to make sure the chemical is evenly distributed.

Is Quest Horse Gel (Moxidectin) safe??
My vet recommended it to me before she knew I already had cydectin. I have used the injectable cydectin for years with good results. It is given orally not injected. Also decals are very important. You need to know the type of worm you are trying to kill.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the same problem and decided to use copper and I have seen improvements with my goats. However the Famacha scale is not super reliable because over worming with chemicals can also make goats anemic.
You should use fecal egg count and FAMACHA together with observation of the suspected goat. But a fecal egg count should be you precursor to other testing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They need copper, not drugs.

When giving copper, provide dolomite as well so they can adjust as necessary and don't overdose.
Would switching to a mineral that has a higher copper ppm work? Or do I need to give a bolus (to replenish the depleted reserves) but still switch to a mineral with a higher copper ppm? I don’t want to create a copper toxicity

·
Registered
31 Posts
There won't be a copper toxicity if there is dolomite available free choice. Dolomite is the antidote for copper toxicity.

Switching to a mineral mix that has higher copper could help, but it would be better to put out straight copper sulfate (along with dolomite next to it) for them to adjust as necessary. I found that my girls did better when giving them a soaked barley with copper in it.

I mix the following in a 5gal bucket:
8000g barley
8000g water
40g copper sulfate
1-2cups apple cider vinegar.

Let it soak overnight to absorb the excess water.

I would offer at least a cup every day. When I give my girls 4 cups, they stop eating when they have had enough.

Make sure they have dolomite available!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Do you have pictures of your goats?

Signs of copper deficiency are rough wiry looking coat, dull faded coat, fishtail, and hair missing on nose.

After their physical appearance declines, then they start having other problems such as worms (any and all types of worms), foot rot, Johne's disease, and scrapie.

I know some will point out that a couple diseases that I mentioned are viruses, which also have vaccine for. So, I will explain terrain theory briefly. 😊

Terrain theory believes if an individual maintains a healthy terrain (body), it can handle outside invaders or threats (microbes), which cause diseases. When terrain is weak, it favors the microbes.

If you are healthy, then your healthy immune system can handle everything. That being said, all goats that succumb to Johne's and scrapie are copper deficient. Some people try to give vaccines in place of good husbandry. Ironically, the vaccines only make your animal sicker in the long run. They need copper, not drugs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts