Deworming with Ivermectin Paste

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by jaytori220, Jul 30, 2008.

1. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

I was looking at my 2 4 month old wethers today and noticed their inside eyelids and gums were pale. I was givin a tube of horse 1.87% ivermectin paste with them and she said that they were done last month. So I figured it wouldnt hurt to go ahead and do them again. I read where the dose should be 3-4x the dose of the weight of the goat. I suspect they weigh about 10-15 lbs. I read on another site that its 1CC for each 34 lbs of goat. Would 1CC be too much to dose them at? From what I know its hard to overdose Ivermectin.

2. crocee

crocee New Member

The 1.87% is almost double what the 1% inject-able is so I would use 1.5x the weight instead of 3x. Also since the injector tube thingy the paste comes in is rather non reliable I would squirt it into a needle less syringe to the correct amount and give it that way. Others may have more to say on this matter so I would wait for them(experts) to chime in before you take my advice. I use the 1% inject-able orally as per Vicki.
    Andi

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Exactly what Andi said, also make sure you are actually weighing them, at 10 or 15 pounds you could easily pick them up and weigh them on a family scale.

Ivermectin in some areas won't touch HC and it is what causes anemia, blood sucking, barber pole worms.

Especially because of where you live I would purchase the cydectin cattle pouron and use it at 1cc per 22 pounds orally....or get the tube of Quest horse paste and follow Kayes instructions on goatkeeping 101. Vicki