detoxing new milkers

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by drhinkleconn53, Jan 19, 2011.

1. drhinkleconn53

drhinkleconn53 New Member

Just bought some new goats that freshened in November, but owners were feeding them feed with decoquinate in it. How long should I dump the milk before I can consider it safe for human consumption?

2. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Here's what my Veterinary Drug Handbooks say:

Decoquinate has no efficacy against adult coccidia and is not approved for use in animals producing milk for food or in laying chickens.

So, there are not established MWD times.

3. drhinkleconn53

So do you think 3 days will be long enough? I am milking them 2x a day plus they have kids on them.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I know in a testing done on lasalocid (different cocci med but same idea) the does would have to be eating nearly 5 pounds of feed (180 pound goats)...first for the cocci med to even have enough blood level to work as a cocci med, but also to be present in the blood for it to have any effect in the milk. I have no idea on deccoquinate, but I couldn't believe for a second that the does were getting that much of it, let alone that it can stay in the bloodstream and effect the milk past 12 hours, let alone 3 days or 30 days. I also know how hard it is to even effect the udder with drugs with shots we give for inflammation and disease, even infused. I think your more than safe with 3 days. Vicki

5. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

Somewhere, isn't there a chart for generalized conversion of meat withdrawal times to milk withdrawal times? (Since decoquinate has published meat withdrawal times)

6. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

7. drhinkleconn53

Dr. Steve Hart at Langston University says the decox stays in the digestive system. Withdrawal time is 0 for meat, 24 hours for milk. So, I guess the 3 days is a good idea. Thanks everybody!