Desparate Help needed for 1 day old!!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by prairiecomforts, Jan 1, 2008.

1. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts New Member

Missie gave birth to twin bucklings yesterday about 4 pm. It was suppost to get down to -20 last night - so we milked her and brought the babies in to bottle. She didn't have much milk so between yesterdays and this morning milking - I only got about 16 ozs total which was split between the two. The rest of their feedings they have gotten cows milk. Anyway - buck no. 1 is doing great! Eating well and popping and peeing. Very playful. Buck no 2 isn't doing as well. He struggled with taking the bottle and at the last feeding refused to eat very much and then I realized- I haven't seen him poop! What can I do for this little guy? I have never had this problem before. Help quickly please!

2. Carolyn

Carolyn New Member

Myra, go down the list, I think it is "kid down", I think there might be something that may help you there. Carolyn

3. prairiecomforts

Carolyn -I looked at that. I tried the small sliver of soap and an enema of corn oil. I had also given him a little baking soda in the bottle earlier this afternoon. He still hasn't pooped yet. He is laying downing now and lifts his little head every once in a while to make a small sound. I am pretty sure he isn't going to make it but am still looking for any suggestions.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Hope everyone goes out this next week and buys baby supositories for thier goat med kit. If a kid doesn't poop it dies. Work at the enema, really look at the anus, does it even have an opening? Just like in babies, kero syrup will cause the bowel movement, course then you have some diarrhea for awhile which you don't treat. But work at the enema, warm water, but get him to poop.

Also know kids who don't live very long sometimes simply don't have the plumbing or heart or lungs to live outside the uterus. We can't do anything about that. Vicki

5. hallelujahdairy

hallelujahdairy New Member

My experience, I find they have to eat and walk around. If he isnt eating well that is problem no. 1, if he isnt moving around well that is problem no.2. Make sure he is warm, put him on a heating pad or heat lamp, do you have a little shirt or sweatshirt to put on him. Sometimes this helps with ours. Main thing is to get him moving so the rumen will work. I use a little warm water with a touch of dish soap. I start with 3 cc's and see what happens.....again the more they move the better chance for them to poop. Has he peed?

6. prairiecomforts

I am not sure if he has peed. I know that he hasn't pooped. He did take some milk this morning. I am going to try the enema thing again. If that doesn't work - I will have to wait until the grocery store opens in Carson (15 miles form here) and then try to get him some suppositories. I hope he makes it that long. I have never had this trouble ever - but I will be prepared if I ever have it happen again. I haven't given up hope on this little guy - I only hope that I can get him the help he needs in time.

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

mix some dish soap in warm water and use abt 3 cc for the enema right now put karo or even pancake syrup in his bottle alone with baking soda
    Thier rumen isn't working at this age so make sure everything is warmed to 101 degrees and take his temp.

8. goatkid

goatkid New Member

When I've had babies with this problem, I fill a cup with warm water and use a 3cc syringe to give it an enema. I keep slowly giving the water until the kid poops. The goat won't blow up. The excess water comes out. I've always gotten the desired results doing this and haven't lost a newborn in a few years. Baby suppositories also work.

9. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Hope the little guy is doing better, hang in there.

10. prairiecomforts

He seems to be doing better. We got him to poop. But I am thinking that something must be wrong with him internally. Husband doesn't think he looks right in the hind end. He seems fine one minute and then goes and puts his head down. Something is not quite right. These bucks are out of the same doe that lost her baby last year when it was two days old. Nice little doe kid. I couldn't figure out why. Thought maybe she didn't have enough milk - but that wouldn't be the case here. These guys have been in the house since shortly after birth. Missie is more of a pet goat anyway - so I have decided not to bred her next year.

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

BoSE and extra Vit E might be in order here and a tad of banamin

12. hallelujahdairy

hallelujahdairy New Member

Can you take a picture of his back end and what you think is wrong? Is he eating? Have you taken his temp? Ours do well under a heat lamp for the first few days. We too keep ours in for a few days, especially if they are having some problems. Is he walking around or just hunched up? If he looks hunched up that could be abdominal pain and a little banamine would help. It is a prescription that most vets carry. Just trying to think of anything that might help. Sure hope he does better soon for ya.

Lori :/