Deposit systems

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by eliya, Oct 9, 2008.

1. eliya

eliya New Member

I guess this is kind of a 2 part question:

What is your system for deposits on kids???

Here's how I've been doing it:
    A nonrefundable deposit of $50 per kid will hold a person's place on my list of people looking for kids (buckling, doeling OR wether). The first person to place a deposit on a kid gets first pick of the kids I am not retaining for my herd. The second person gets to choose after that and so on. Most people will specify a few breedings that they are most interested in, and will give me some specifics of what they are looking for (milk, breed character, the 'perfect' goat etc. :D). Some people are looking for a breeding buck that will improve certain weaknesses in their does while others simply want a 'cute kid'. When kids are born I try to help people find the kid that will best fit their needs/wants. If we don't have a kid that meets their requirements, they have the option to transfer their deposit onto a kid from the next year or have their deposit refunded.
    I should mention that the reason we don't take deposits on an individual breeding is because with the MiniNubians, they are not perfected enough to really KNOW what is going to come from a particular breeding.

My second question is:
    How many deposits will you take on kids?

I am planning on breeding 13-16 does this fall. My does tend to have high birth rates - this year I had 28 kids from 11 does. I currently have deposits on 10 or 11 doelings and 10 or 11 bucklings/wethers. I plan on keeping one buckling and will try to only keep 3-5 doelings.

Thanks in advance!

2. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

I am no expert by any means, but the one thing that struck me was that you said you have a $50 NON refundable deposit then later on say "If we don't have a kid that meets their requirements, they have the option to transfer their deposit onto a kid from the next year or have their deposit refunded." I have read some contracts that will NOT refund the deposit so you must take something this year or transfer it to next year.
    Tiff

3. eliya

eliya New Member

Yeah, I wasn't sure how to word that part. I want it to be that the ONLY reason for a refund would be if we didn't have something for them. Otherwise you have people who want their money back just because they changed their minds. That gets crazy.

4. coso

coso Guest

If I want a kid from a herd. I know the specific doe I want the kid from for a multitude of reasons that probably I can only understand. :lol I don't like the idea of if this doe doesn't have a buck for you then you have to take this one or lose your deposit ( I don't want the other one :biggrin). I might be OK with the same breeding next year and holding the deposit over. But :/

5. eliya

eliya New Member

Yep. That makes sense. I try to help my buyers get the kids that they want. If I don't have what they want, I'm not going to keep their money. :D

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Refund the deposit if you don't have the buck born. Holding over should only be done between friends and breeders. Nobody wants to be held to the breeding the next year, what if something happens to the buck or to the doe herself.

With the way you have your contract, really open ended, sort of a first com first serve, I would state clearly that if you choose not to take the kid offered than you forfiet your deposit, if I can not fulfill the contract with a kid than I will cheerfully refund your deposit. No deposits will be refunded if you simply change your mind. This would fullfill a contract for "meeting of the minds". Do contracts, I can't tell you how many times I have fixed problems by simply re reading the contract with the person who is having a problem with me. Mine is very very clear what I expect from you and what you can expect from me. Always leaving room at the bottom of the contract to write in special circumstances with this contract. vicki

7. I'll let someone reserve a kid before the does kids, they get to choose what they want out of which ever doe they want. I notify them when the does kids to let them know whether or not there is a kid available. If the kid is availabe and they want the kid then a Nonrefundable deposit is required to hold the kid until time of pick up. The only time I would refund is if something would happen to the kid. Right now I don't bother with taking deposits before the kids are born because right now I don't have enough goats to transfer a deposit. I prefer not to have to return the deposit so I just wait until I see what is available.

8. eliya

eliya New Member

Thanks everyone.

The main thing right now is trying to decide if I should take any more deposits. :D I guess that is a good problem!