Dehydrated goat?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Shykid Acres, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

:down Solana is not drinking her water. I have kept it out of her pen just in case she kids when I'm not there. I've placed the water bucket in for her while I am there. She has not touched it. I also have a small ice block for her to lick if she gets thirsty in between. Not touched that either. I'm worried that she'll dehydrate. Any suggestions? Should I keep the bucket in with her?

-Kim

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

When mine do this I either sprinkle salt on their feed or dip my finger in some water and stick it in the salt and then rub it in their mouth...this will get them to drink most of the time...also if you leave the water in with her you can make it where she can drink and the kids cant get into it. I have made a guard with a piece of cattle panel where they can still drink and nothing will fall in. Does she have a temp?

3. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

No temp that I know of. Don't have thermometer yet. Does not look distressed at all. Eating fine. Alert. etc. Good idea about the salt. Thanks.

-Kim

4. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I would let her out of that pen and go back out with the rest of the goats. When they are separated like this it makes them depressed and she could stop eating and drinking on you. Let her go be a goat. :biggrin

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

kool aid can be added to the water and as cold as it probably is up there having warm water which they like better that cold or ice. Also get you a thermometer it is a must if your going to own goats. Just a plain ole peoples digital $7 at the grocery store.

6. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Thanks everyone for the advice. :)

-Kim

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Clip the bucket up on the cattle panel pen she is in with a double end snap. As long as it is higher than her butt she can't have her kids in the bucket :)

You are going to drive your goats insane. And having them in this little pen...it's so small that if she turns around she will step on them, or they will roll out of the small pen through the cattle panel and will not be able to get back with mom. A really bad idea. vicki

8. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Vicky- Hi. I did not use cattle panel. I used a 2x4" field wire. And the pen is larger than it looks. It is about 7'x 4'. Going to take her out tomorrow and put the mean one that likes to butt everybody in instead. That way she can get exercise without getting hurt and aborting. Yicks! Thanks for the idea of putting the bucket up. I thought of that too but need to figure out a way to attach it to a wooden wall. Another project for the morning. The bucket is in with her for today and tonight as she does not look like she'll kid any time soon.

-Kim

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep just clip it up high on the fence and get her out to roam 7 x 4 is not enough room.

10. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I have to attach it to the wood as the wire I have up is not strong enough to hold the bucket as it was a last minute temp pen. (Thought she was going in labor. :lol) Will reinforce it and then clip bucket up or put it to the wood. I thought about nailing up a plastic wastebasket. Figured that might work.
    Thanks again.

-Kim

11. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

This thread is cracking me up :rofl :rofl :rofl
    Best entertainment I've had in a while!
    I've used a good ole nail (or two) to hold many a bucket up. I like to pound a couple of nails in the wall a little more than half-way, then take a piece of hay twine and hook a strong snap to it, and double it around several times, then hang it on the nail and pound the nails down most of the way...but not all the way if you think it'll be temporary. Then you can just clip one of the smaller flat-back buckets to it at whatever height you want and you're set. Can easily take it down to clean any time at all. Make sure you put it up high enough...you could use a step below so doe has to step up to get a drink...she'd probably like that. My last doe that kidded did so while standing up. Could have dropped both the little girls in a low water bucket if she'd have wanted to. I doubt she would have climbed up a step backwards while in labor to put them in the bucket though.... : :lightbubl

12. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I can just picture that! :rofl

Thanks for the idea on nail, twine, clip, etc. Good idea.
    Good night all.

-Kim