Dehorner question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by pokyone42, Feb 4, 2008.

1. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

I have a rhinehart x50 dehorner. (I think it is the x50, anyways...it is the big one) I have had it for 20 years. I was out of goats for many years, and so cannot remember this; there is a switch in the middle... has a D on one side, and an S on the other. It also has the extra tip for kids. I am hoping that someone can tell me what those settings mean. Last year, it was set on the S position, (as I had not even noticed the switch, and didn't EVER remember seeing it... :rofl. I guess I am getting old~) All kids but one, needed disbudding twice last year. ugh.
    We found the switch this year, and set it to the D position, and it seems to be working better. It glows red, when good and hot in the D position... I am assuming that it is running hotter when in the D position. I would appreciate any help. Thank you! Oh, and up to 8 kids now.. 6 bucks and 2 does, with more (does I hope) due on Thursday! :biggrin Thanks in advance!

2. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

LOL!! You had trouble because you weren't disbudding them.....you were soldering them!! ;) Thats what the S and D stand for.

3. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

OOPS!!!!!!!!!! Oh my GOODNESS! I could not for the LIFE of me figure out what the S was for! Thank you.... :blush2

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Don't tell anyone but I started soldering one year too....thought my iron was broken till I took a closer look at that little insignificant switch....... :lol

5. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

Your secret's safe with me! ;)