Deerworm doe given Dex delivers

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by DostThouHaveMilk, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Say that five times fast. ;)
    I treated three of my aunt and uncle's doelings for Deerworm this past Fall/Winter. They had four doelings and they were all purchased from me in August and moved less than a 1/2 mile. Just goes to show how different areas can be. We've never seen deerworm in our herd.
    Anyways, the last doeling we treated had been bred less than two weeks prior. We had figured she would abort with the Dex required in treating the deerworm. She did not recycle, however, and started developing a little udder right on time.
    I started worrying then about the fact I had wormed her quite heavily that early in her pregnancy (with Ivermect Plus and 1%).
    On the 11th my aunt came home to two new babies and a very diligent first time momma. I sold them prevention raised doelings so they could have a clean start this time and would not have to worry about being there.
    Sundae, the dam, is still showing signs of nerve damage and I don't know if she will ever correct fully. She was the only one of the three to actually go down. The first two were caught and treated early on before they went down. The first doe to get deerworm delivered twin doelings sometime last evening or this morning. I discovered them while farm sitting this morning. A beautiful udder on that FF. She will be there milking doe. She is 1/4 Boer, 3/8 Saanen, 1/4 Nubian and 1/8 LaMancha/Alpine.

Sundae had two bucklings and they are the first kids out of our Fullblood Boer buck, Sparky. We are expecting our first kids from him in August. Their four does were the first ones he bred. So far, I am pleased. Especially with how clean the teats are.
    Here is Sundae. Her left rear leg gives her serious issues and she has no control over her tail. :( She's managed to carry them to term and it was hard watching her climb the hill, but she should feel better with that weight off.
    [​IMG]
    Her two boy's the day after they were born;
    [​IMG]

Thanks to those on the forum who helped me learn how to treat for deerworm. These are success stories.

2. leslieh

leslieh New Member

Congrats! It is so great to hear success stories!

Leslie

3. susie

susie New Member

Wonderful news! good job-- I remember you going through that!

Susie

4. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

Congratulations on your success! My those babies look cute! Pete and Repeat!

Anne

5. Belle

Belle New Member

Congratulations, I'm glad everything worked out well!

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Congratulations!! What a happy ending.

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Does Diagnosed with Deerworm, Dosed with Dex, Deliver a Duo of Darling Doelings!

8. Nancy

Nancy New Member

Congratulations.

9. Nancy

Nancy New Member

Stupid question, how do you know they have deer worms? Are there any typical symptoms? Just wondering in case we ever have anything like that so we would know what to look for.

10. In the case with these does, it started with them dragging their hind toes. In the case of Amber and Lily that is about as far as it went. I came here looking for advice and started treating Amber for deerworm. She pulled through and I had my aunt watch the others, so the next case, Lily, was also caught early on.
    In the case of Sundae, Jean had been out of town and Fred called when she went down. He didn't catch it quite as early. I told him that she would probably abort after given the Dex but that I was pretty confident we would lose her otherwise. He said do what you think is right. We pulled her through but she has had a harer time and has not fully recovered.
    There are some good threads in the history about it. Tracy (?) dealt with it right before I did so I had a wonderful thread of so much information to fall back on.

[​IMG]
    The four kids this morning. The two boys are closest to the camera and the two girls are in the back. Not sure when the does were born as Fred did not check them last night. He works EMS and is usually pretty exhausted. Jean is out of town again.
    [​IMG]
    Amber with doelings beside her. She still drags her rear toes slightly, but gets along pretty well.

I love alliteration. :biggrin

11. Nancy

Nancy New Member

Thank you for the info. The kids are really cute.