deer bones, meat. etc. for LGDs

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Anita Martin, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

My ex husband and several of my neighbors are avid deer hunters. I have a large amount of deer bones, meat, legs, etc available to me this time of year. I am wondering if this meat would be appropriate for my LDG puppy in the goat field? I am aware of the dangers of allowing deer in the pasture because of the parasites. Will the raw meat and bones be a concern to my girls?
    Thanks,
    Anita

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Mine get the larger bones as that way they have to chew on them for a while and cant swallow them whole. Mine also get the larger cow bones from the butcher. And the meat is fine also. Mine love it.

3. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

We have fed raw before with good results. The deer bones I've got are large and the older dogs have chewed on them for hours and hours. I'd never feed cooked bones. I'm just a little concerned about the deer bones possibly harboring parasites that could harm my goats, or are parasites not passed that way, but only fecally? I'm not using stomach contents or anything as the hunters leave that in the woods, just the legs and a few other large bones with meat.
    Thanks
    Anita