Deep pack bedding molds?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by homeacremom, Nov 13, 2008.

1. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

If a deep pack bedding gets moldy do you clean it all out and start over? I did yesterday! I noticed a strong musty smell and found it was coming from the bedding. The whole pack was moldy, not just in spots. It has been drizzling with no sun and not all that cold for most of the week. Is it just pulling moisture from the ground? Is it common for the pack to mold?
    This is not the first year I've done this. When it starts freezing at night I leave the bedding in, clean out any wet spots and maybe some of the top layer for the chickens and just keep adding a deep layer of clean straw. This builds it up so the top never gets damp even if it is raining hard for days. Never had any problem before. (I get down on the bedding to check for smells at goat height. ;))

2. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms Guest

Did I miss it? What are you using for bedding?

Trisha

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Your really dealing with a compost pile here. Mold is from too much moisture so dry it out with Lime, sweet PDZ or something that controls moisture. If the bedding is damp than it is not deep enough. Vicki

4. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Thankyou! I forgot about using lime since I've never needed it before. The bedding -the top- is not damp (I have to get down on my knees to reach under where the hens have their nest) and underneath it wasn't soggy, just completely molded.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

be sure and get ag lime

6. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

:yeahthat I went to the local Co-Op and asked for lime to put in my barn, and ag lime is NOT what I got. My mom says I can still use it, if I take the animals out, finely dust it, and then cover with bedding before putting them back--she does that w/her chickens and they're okay, but as I understand it, I run the risk of burning their skin. So... mine is still sitting in the unopened bag in my feed room. :/ I really liked the sweet PDZ a lot, though. It's a little pricier ($9 for 50 lbs lime vs. $13 for 40 lbs pdz) but I'd pay the extra every time, I like it so well.

7. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Trisha, we are using wheat straw for bedding.

8. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I've used type S lime since I've had goats and it hasn't burned them. I just be sure to put down pine shavings over it. I do prefer the PDZ around young kids since they spend alot of time in the goat house nestled in their bedding. Kathie