Dead goat mystery

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by goatkid, Dec 8, 2007.

1. goatkid

goatkid New Member

A woman called me asking if I have any Nubian bucks available. She had leased a buck and it died while in her care. I questioned her as to the cause of it's death. She didn't know. She then went on to say she lost seven of her goats in the late summer. She said they seemed off so she gave them a shot of Nuflor. They seemed to inprove, but then she found them dead about a week later. She has other goats that never got sick. She said her older goats did better and the goats she lost were newer goats, but not so new that it was the result of a feed change. All the goats had received their CDT shots, had no feed changes, the hay was cured and the goats were penned and had no access to poisonous weeds. She gives them goat minerals and soda. She had one goat necropsied and they didn't find anything. She uses the same vet I do, and he's a preety good vet. He didn't know what was wrong with the sick ones. She said she worms with Safeguard, so I told her to use Ivermectin instead, to take the temperatures of any sick goats, to give a full course of antibiotics if they are needed and to call me next time she has a sick goat. She seems to be doing more right things than a lot of new goat owners, but is still missing something. Any ideas what may be going on with her goats. I'd like to sell her some of my goats in the spring, but I want to make reasonably sure they will be OK.

2. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Kinda sounds like the goats that died may have been exposed to something that the older goats had built up an immunity to. End of summer made me think of new cut hay at first glance.....then there is the use of safeguard as a primary wormer, which threw up a flag. End of summer, new goats, younger goats,.......wonder how many of these came through an old nasty sale barn, or a place where sanitation is a rare thing.
    I wonder if this vet. sent off to be cultured, any of the animals tissues, including brain tissue ? You guys may never know on this one, but whatever it was, I'll almost becha it's still lurking around out there somewhere.

3. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I thought of the new cut hay thing as well, but she said that they bought the previous year's hay, so that wouldn't be the problem. Also, the leased buck just died, so he wasn't around when she lost the others. Perhaps I should go to her place and check out the situation. I may be able to see something. I should also suggest that she have the goats blood tested for CAE and CL. She sounds like she wants to breed nice Nubians and I'd like to see her do it correctly.