Dark Chocolate Gelato

Discussion in 'Cheese & Dairy' started by tmfinley, Sep 16, 2008.

1. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

I want to post a recipe for dark chocolate gelato my family loves. I will post it here, but I think I remember Sondra telling someone to post recipes somewhere else. Not sure though.

DARK CHOCOLATE GELATO

4 egg yolks
    2/3 c. sugar
    2 c. milk
    3 oz. dark chocolate
    1 1/2 oz. unsweetened cocoa powder
    2 tbsp. sugar

In a bowl beat yolks, gradually add sugar. Beat until creamy and pale yellow. In saucepan bring milk to boil, remove, slowly pour yolk mixture, stirring constantly and quickly. Melt chocolate in double boiler until smooth and satiny. Stir. Pour into custard mixture. Add cocoa powder; mix. Pour into large saucepan, medium heat. DO NOT BOIL. Stir until thick and coats spoon. Heat 2 tablespoons sugar with 2 tablespoons water until dark brown and caramel colored. Add to custard. Pour in clean bowl. Chill. Pour into ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's directions.

The recipe says it is supposed to serve 6 but it barely covers the 4 of us. I make a double batch every time. This recipe originally called for bittersweet chocolate but I like to pretend it is healthier for us when I use dark chocolate instead. It also works okay if you only have the cocoa powder. Not as deep a chocolate flavor, but yummy all the same. This recipe was adapted from Cooks.com.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Tiffany that sounds really good guess I need to go buy me another icecream maker as Son number 2 got off with mine.

3. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

Well, my boys are pretty picky and one of them said it is just like store bought and the other said it was even better. Believe me, that is a huge compliment coming from them.

tiffany