Dang IT!!!!!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Corky, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Corky

Corky New Member

We were gone today and when I went to milk tonight I found the goats had gotten the door open to the feed room and milk room and wrecked the place.
    I had a half bucket of grain in the milk room and they ate all that.
    They also got the lid off the BOSS but it was low and they did not tip the can so I don't think they wanted those.

I put baking soda in a syringe with water and dosed them all and then gave them a big dose of probios and now I am praying.
    This is not the first time they have done this but it is the first time I know for sure how much grain they got.

The babies I am not worried about as they are just beginning to eat grain so they wouldn't have eaten much but my best milker sure would and my yearling too. Molly wouldn't have gotten much eather as she eats slow right now. DANG IT ANYWAY!!!! :crazy

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

DARN do you have CD ANTITOXIN and thera bloat on hand if you need it?? Also put out baking soda free choice. Watch them close for any bloat This is hind sight but I keep all my grain in 55 gal barrels with the lock tight lids. after mine all got into my rubbermaid barrel a few years ago.

3. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I hope your goats will be OK. My setup sometimes seems like a PITA at times because it involves bringing the milkers out of their pen two or three at a time and leading them to the garage where they are milked. On the other hand, when I read stuff like this, the extra work is worth it. I keep my grain stored in plastic garbage cans in my closed garage. There is no way the goats can get out of their goat yard and into the garage on their own, so I feel safe when I have to be away. Kathie

4. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin New Member

Corky,

The same thing has happened to me once - not too long ago, in fact. Only one of my does got into the grain, and I wasn't sure how much either, but I knew it was more than she needed. It was my own fault, too. I was in a hurry and must have neglected to latch the door to the milk room well - so I even felt worse. (The latch is much more carefully monitored now so we don't repeat that (first, and hopefully only one time) mistake.

Thanks to some excellent advise from my local goat mentor, she pulled through just fine. Over the first 36 hours, I drenched her with baking soda twice, gave her probios 3 times, and a couple treatments with bloat release (I now swear by the stuff) and I have two bottles on hand. A lot of massaging on her left side also didn't hurt. She also got a CD/T booster right away. The first about 12 hours she didn't show any signs of bloat. She never did get "bloaty" round, but she did start having some frothy foam at her mouth. As I started seeing symptoms, I was out checking on her about every two hours around the clock till she started looking normal again. The second day she got some b complex and I offered her some warm water with karo syrup in it.

I cut her off everything but hay. It took her about 2 days but she started coming around slowly. It was a scary experience and one I have learned a lot from.

I wish you luck. I know how scary it is going through this - keep us posted.
    Kathy

5. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Go to the hardware store and get you one of those goat proof latches that looks like a giant screen door latch with a hook of a thing on the bottom of it that snaps shut. The goats can't open it I don't care how hard they try. Well the darlings definitely don't get any grain today... only hay and a few alfalfa pellets and water and baking soda free choice. Keep up the probios a couple times today. They sure keep us on our toes don't they!!

6. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I have to have impossible to open latches on my milk stand, my gates, they are terrible little stinkers!

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Hows the goats today Corky?

8. Corky

Corky New Member

Thank you for asking. My Frogs and Kangaroos are just fine today. :biggrin

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OH that is good to hear we always like to keep up on those exotics:)