dam raising-- triplets

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by susie, Mar 18, 2008.

1. susie

susie New Member

My second freshener Marie had triplet bucklings. ( I usually dam raise, but this year has been wacky.) So her teats are really getting beat up. I put bag balm on them yesterday-- i'm just wondering if there is something better for them or will I have to bottle raise or sell these boys. I'm already getting a gallon and a half a day from our other milker whose baby had to be bottle-fed, so can't say as I need the milk. Although I must say her teats are in such great condition I can see alot of positives regarding bottle-feeding.
    Would rather not milk her for a little bit, when I can just seperate the boys at night. Just looking for some ideas of what the best thing to do for her teats are, or if I have to take at least one boy off her.
    thanks!

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I usually just take at the odd one out off mom and bottle feed or butcher right away. and only leave two on the dam usually one gets left out anyway.

3. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Exactly...they always seem to want to drink at the same time. I also would pick one to bottle feed.

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Yep, I'd pull one off and see what happens.

5. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I never let my does raise more than two kids for exactly the reason that they tear up the doe's teats fighting over them. If my triplets include a doeling, I bottle feed her. My Snubian doe recently had three bucklings. I pulled the largest one and sold him as a bottle baby. Kathie