Dairy Goat Journal?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Bella Star, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Does anybody read the Dairy Goat Journal ? Has anyone read the article on "choosing a herd sire "? Would you have chosen that buck that was selected for a herd sire ? I am beginning to think ,that a good goat is in the eye of the beholder !! If my boer buck looked like than N in the magazine, I would cull him , heck, I would never choose him for a N herd sire..

2. Gabe

Gabe New Member

What is wrong with this buck? For me he looks long bodied, a trade I like, nice rump angle and strong back. don't care to much about his front assembly but it could be because how the picture was taken.
    I don't choose my buck how he looks like but how his dam and sisters look and milk.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

The quality of a magazine is in direct corralation to the quality of writers in the magazine....Enough said!!!! United Caprine News, even our Becky writes in it :) Vicki

4. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Yep! I won't be wasting my money on DGJ again.

5. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

Okay, not all of their writers are of questionable quality. Tim King does a pretty good job, he did our family farm article for them.
    But I do have to question why a while back they had someone from Arkansas write about protecting your goats in cold weather! Heck their cold is our balmy day here in Iowa!
    Tim

6. old dominion

old dominion New Member

I happen to read both DGJ and UCN. Everything I hear/read about goats I take with a grain of salt because so much information is out there, both good and bad. Because DGJ is so easily accessible to new goat owners I feel like they have a huge responsibility to publish on target information. Several years ago I picked up a copy. This copy had photos, one of which was a kid sitting on a goats back like he was riding her. I was horrified!!! Later I found out these were the ADGA photo contest winners. I about lost my mind. I wonder how many beginners thought this was cute, put their children on their goats causing back problems, had a horrible experience with goats and left the industry. I think a more appropriate way to handle the photo, or one like it, would be to address the problems this behavior causes with an article like the one Sue Reith wrote several years ago about the skeletal system. Her article clearly states never do this.

7. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

I totally agree with "the grain of salt" statement. There are a few "authors"?????????? that there's no way in hades I'd take advice from!!! When you've only been in goats a few years and your publishing articles for the public???Pffft...they get caught doing copywrite infringement...Oh, I FORGOT, they already have!!! :rofl
    Nawww...I'll get my information from someone that's been there, done that. AND with the correct info. and research. ;)
    Kaye

8. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Vicki your commission check should be in the mail . I just order United Caprine news.

Patty

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Oh I wish!!!

Tim it's not the articles like yours, its the information articles that are just beyond belief at times. And even allowing someone who has been in goats 3 or 4 years to write articles, and with information in them that is really awful, and other sentences that I do believe have been posted on our forums before :) :) And I am not teasing. There is alot of that out there...shoot fix some missspelled words, the way someone talks and their ..... they do :) and you can sound pretty durn smart for someone in Arkansas :) and for someone in MICHIGAN!!!! Vicki

10. SherrieC

SherrieC New Member

Jolene, I had a discusion with a fellow goat breeder "big Name" in my area about NOT letting children on goat backs, I was Poo Poo'ed. So I dropped it. they are letting their 4-5 year old daughter ride does but "Hey the does LIKE it! and she's Not heavy enough to do damage"
    I have no Idea, and don't have sue's article in front of me about How much weight is too much child, but I know Children, teach them it's o.k. to ride the goats, and they'll keep on riding the goats, even after you tell them no you're too big now.

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

12. SherrieC

SherrieC New Member

Sondra, do you think they'ld give me EVIL Looks if I dropped it off at their Meat deli ? he he he Ild better mmob

13. old dominion

old dominion New Member

Depends how much meat you buy at their deli.

14. SherrieC

SherrieC New Member

Well, I don't buy any meat at their deli : ) we raise our own for the most part, they just happen to be around the corner in the inside farmers market barn from my stand.

15. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Personally Sherrie, I would do it. If I were near you, I'd say "give it to me, I'll take it!" sometimes you have to smack these people between the eyes before they can see and hey, and if it read it and think 'well maybe we shouldn't do that anymore' well, you've just done a service to their goat.
    Just do it nicely & with good intentions. :)

16. SherrieC

SherrieC New Member

well, they have been less than respectful towards me eversince I first met them "a little My goat herd is better than yours mentality going on." Heaven forbid that I try to tell them anything. He's been in goats a long long time. I told him when I met him I was working Hard at improving my nubian herd and getting there they appraise good, but I do have nice saanens, which I'm also working on them also they appraise out 85-90 the five of them. He looked at me and said anybody can breed good saanens. My mouth dropped. another time He asked why I hadn't attended nationals in 06 and I had told him My teenager who was supposed to milk for me and hold down the fort that week left me in a lerch when he decided NOT to. He told me they don't have Anything on their farm that won't place at least 3rd so they don't have to leave any at home. again I stared at him open mouthed. I guess I was just aghast that he'ld speak down to me, when they don't Know me. Obliously when they are freshening 30 does they do have more animals then they can take and show let alone mathmatically place the first 3 places, plus hello the bucks. and I don't like to take little jr kids to show. So I pretty much don't talk to them unless approached. I'm too busy selling all that soap from my inferior goats anyhow tee hee hee. :rofl

17. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

geesh some people . And what you cannot breed nice Saanens ....I will go hit them for you !!!!

Bet if you compare paychecks from your goats to his you win .

Patty

18. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

I am NOT knocking all the articles in DGJ as our own Emily Dixon that's here at the site has her butchering skills article this month with "How to Butcher" goats.
    Where is Emily tho ? :shrug

19. Melissa

Melissa New Member

so for people who use their wethers as back goats what are the max weights? or is this different because of the weight distribution? I couldn't imagine trying to let some kid try and ride my goats like a horse... they'd kill the poor kid. lol.

-Melissa

20. SherrieC

SherrieC New Member

There Must be a weight limit, but the packs do distribute weight a Lot more then a child sitting up right bouncing up and down.