Dairy Clip?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by baileybunch, Dec 12, 2007.

1. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Can anyone explain a "dairy clip" to me. I hope that's the right term! What size blades are used, exactly where and how far you clip, etc. I'm not getting it! :?

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I start down at the rear feet above their dew claws (their ankles) and make a straight line up to their hocks (elbows) and up to right where their tail meets their thigh. Now shave everything off inside that line to their belly button (Udder, vulva, under tail, inside thighs, forudder to belly.) Vicki

3. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Wow! You are QUICK! Tail meets thigh: Is that the tailhead? Do you shave the entire leg or just that outside portion? That's the area where thier hair meets and makes a kind of vertical wave between the dew claws and the hocks? What size blade? I have Oster A5 clippers.

4. NubianSoaps.com

Yes the tail head, but I also trim the fringe all off the tail also.

Yes the cowlick part of the leg, straight up the thigh. Then inside all that, so inside thigh, no not down on the leg.

I use my big clippers to do the whole thing, only going back after kidding and trimming up the udder, but then I have been shaving for a really long time.

Dairy clip is also not about pretty, the initial clipping is about cleanlines after kidding, then when she is up on the milkstand and not super preggo and in milk, I will take my little clippers after her and make it pretty. Yes a 10 blade....40's etc..are kept for shows. Vicki

5. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:lol Not around here anyway!! I just start shaving any areas where lochia MIGHT stick to long hair. I save pretty for show clips!
    Kaye

6. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

One Hairy Feather-britches LaMancha + Machete = FNF Dairy Clip

7. UnRuli Acres

UnRuli Acres New Member

Here's photos of one of the dairy clips here (on a cull doe several years ago - just fresh first freshener) although I will admit that it was done far nicer than the majority of them as I knew this doe was leaving (alright doe, but did NOT cross well with what was here)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

you can also just use cheapy walmart cooking spray and spray all over the rear end and down the legs and what not and not have to clip them if you live in frigid area... spray them good and it will clean right off.

9. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho New Member

Or you can do it the way we do up here in the frozen tundra -- just wait till after they kid and cut off the frozen goo that may be in the hair :biggrin

I'm not a big fan of making nekkid spots on my does when it is below 0. We will do a rough "bottom of the udder/fore udder" clip once we get them on the milkstand, but that's about it.

Tracy

10. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Thanks for the pictures! They were great. I can really see where to clip. Good visual. I was asking because our breeder suggested a "dairy clip" for linear appraisal, I think. Maybe. Senile moment. Anyway. Now I know!

11. NubianSoaps.com

Appraisal just like your local 4H show...your goats and you should look like you are in the National show ring. Anything less is not showing or appraising them at their best, so just stay home. Nothing is worse than coming home from appraisal or a show and wondering if you would have done better had you clipped, or any of the other excuses you can give yourself. Be prepared always, yourself and you goats. Vicki