Cystorellin

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by ozark_jewels, Nov 26, 2007.

1. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Ok, picked up a dose of Cystorellin from the vet today. They said give it in the muscle and that if the doe actually has an existing pregnancy that it will not terminate it. Just wanting to double-check that with you guys before using it. I've never needed it before. Thanks!

2. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:biggrin They're exactly right. It's not a lutelizing (sp) hormone.
    Kaye

3. Just out of curiosity what is cystorellin used for?

4. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

It's used for cystic ovaries in cattle. We use it in goats, at a lesser dose, for same reason.
    Kaye

5. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Thanks Kaye! One other question, the vet I got it from is not extremely familiar with goats. The dose he gave me is 2 cc's. Is that correct??

6. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

I have great success with 1cc when the doe comes into heat, then the other cc 24hrs. later. Without being able to palpate the ovaries(cattle/horses) you can't tell when the doe ovulates. Most as or after they go out of heat.
    Kaye

7. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Oh! So you have to give it while they are in heat?? :? I didn't know that. So I don't give it now, but I give it when she comes in heat again??

8. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Yeah. From what I understand, you give it when the doe is in heat. . . Kaye??

Suriyah

9. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

YES! It will not work without the doe being in heat. It is used along with the does drop in progestrone(heat) to release either a *stuck* egg (ovarian cyst) or to release more matured eggs.

Ok...now, tell me why you are using the cystorellin and we will come up with a plan.
    Kaye

10. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

This 3 year old Nubian doe has kidded twice before, once with twins, once with triplets. This year she has been repeatedly bred to the same buck on strange heat cycles, some on regular 21 day cycles and some on short cycles. She is in good health, in good shape and not fat. This is a thread where we discussed this before:

http://dairygoatinfo.com/index.php?topic=277.msg1967#msg1967

She was last bred about a week ago. At this point I would try just about anything to get her bred, she is too nice a doe to stay dry an entire year! :?

Her first year she was hard to breed and would not take until I hit her with three days of Vitamin C and Cod Liver Oil(Pat Coleby method that I have used before with success). She then took on her next breeding. Last year, she took without a qualm on her first breeding. I hit her with this method a week ago(as soon as I saw she was in heat again), so she may take now, but I don't want to take a chance and lose another month, so I thought I would hit her with the Cystorellin too.

All these funky heats were while we were in upheaval and moving the herd, so I attributed it to that to begin with....but now I'm getting anxious.

11. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:lol That's what I thought it was...but wanted to make sure. IF that doe comes back into heat shortly, give her the cystorellin like I described above. IF she again short cycles after the cystorellin...then you're going to have to treat her like a doe with a uterine infection.
    Kaye

12. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Thanks Kaye! I'll let you know how it goes!

13. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts New Member

I read about this and am thinking that it my help my doe that is having similar problems.

14. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Well, lets see if it worked! She showed heat yesterday late morning so I gave her the first cc. Then today at noon I gave her the second. She has been with Tuxedo this whole time. We shall see......