cydectin- pour on or injectable?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Dusty, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Dusty

Dusty Member

I was noticing everyone here recommends pour on Cydectin at 1cc per 22lbs. which is the cattle does, but given orally instead of pour-on. I was looking in the jeffers catalog and they have injectable cydectin that says 1cc per 110lbs. given SQ. for cattle. Will this same doesage work for goats, only given orally instead of SQ? If so then it would be a great cost savings since a 500ml. bottle of pour on would only treat 11,000lbs. of goat vs. 200ml. injectable that would treat 22000lbs. of goat for about $20 more. I may be wrong but I thought I would run this by and see what others thought.

Dusty

2. coso

coso Guest

I figured you were looking at injectable Ivomec because the cattle dose for it is 1cc/110lb. You were not though I looked it up on Jeffers. The injectable has 10mg of moxidectin/ml and the pour on has 5mg of moxidectin/ml so looks to me like you could use the injectable at 1cc/44 lb of goat. Maybe someone can clarify this for us though. But the way I figured it the pour on is .12/ml and the injectable is .27/ml so you wouldn't be saving anything. Someone please check my calculations and figures though. I mess up pretty regularly.

3. Dusty

Dusty Member

Here is the label dose for the inj.:

CYDECTIN Injectable, when administered at the recommended dose level of 0.2 mg/2.2 lb (0.2 mg/kg) body weight, is effective in the treatment and control of the following internal and external parasites of cattle:

And for the pour on:

CYDECTIN Pour-On when applied at the recommended dose level of 0.5 mg/2.2 lb (0.5 mg/kg) body weight is effective in the treatment and control of the following internal [adult and fourth-stage larvae (L4)] and external parasites of cattle

Seems the inj. doesn't take as much since it is more concentrated, but I don't know if this would make a diff. giving it orally.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Dusty this was discussed before and the final consenses was that this is something you would just have to try and see how it works Kaye or Vicki haven't used the injectable cydectin either

5. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:biggrin Nope...'cause the pour on used orally is still keeping my fecals clean. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I get this preached to me all the time from goat vet. Because I also, called to check if it would work. :lol

IF you decide to use the injectable orally... it is dosed as coso said. 1cc/44# because it's twice the mg/ml as pour-on. And I DO hate to inject wormer, if I don't have to.

Maybe later in the fall, when I get this bottle of pour on used up...I will "run it through" the fecal test and see if it's as effective.??
    Kaye